Wellness > Health

We Tried UWF Group Fitness Classes So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Getting the motivation to work out is hard, but the UWF fitness classes provide a great accountability system. My friends and I have started attending the fitness classes together and honestly, we have tons of fun while getting a great workout! I put together a list of some of the fitness classes we tried so you can read through and find your perfect fit.

Bootcamp with Meg:

When: Wednesday 5:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.

Where: Pedagogy

Point of View: Anna Freeman, freshman

Activity level: Anna describes her activity level as, “walking around campus and taking fitness classes or going to the gym whenever my schedule is not too packed.”

Overall Impression of the Class: “It’s a great high-intensity class for people wanting to work full-body.”

Three things Anna liked: Anna liked, “how [Meg] corrected and helped you with your workouts, gave alternative workouts to fit your workout” and the organized circuits of the class.

Dislikes: Anna wrote, “Sometimes [there are] too many people so some stations have to be skipped.”

Would Anna take this class again?: “Yes.”

Kickboxing with Grace:

When: Tuesday and Thursday, 4:15 p.m.-5 p.m.

Where: Blue Studio

Point of View: Savannah Snider, freshman

Activity Level: “I walk to class, and I try to take at least three fitness classes a week.”

Overall Impression of the Class: “Kickboxing was fun, and I liked how you can make the workout harder or easier depending on how much energy put in. For this class, you have to push yourself to get a good workout. The first ten minutes of the class I was really confused, but then I got the hang of it.”

Three things Savannah liked: “I liked the atmosphere of the class, because it felt empowering being surrounded by so many positive females. The second thing I liked was the music. The music really pumped you up got you going. Lastly, punching the bag was a good way to get a lot frustration out, so that was a nice surprise.”

Dislikes: “I didn’t like how sweaty my hands got. The class was full, so we each had to take turns on a bag (this kind of sucked because your workout wasn’t as good without the added resistance the bag gives).

Would Savannah take the class again?: “Probably! In my opinion, this class is good if you want to sweat, but not have an as extreme workout as core cycle.”

Insane Cycle with Jennifer:

Where: Blue Studio

When: Friday, 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.

Point of View: Kylie McKinney, sophomore

Activity Level: “My activity level, I would say, would be keeping my heart rate at at least 150 bpm for an hour straight, at least 5 days a week to promote cardiac health.”

Overall Impression of the Class: “I liked the insane cycle a little more [than core cycle] since it was essentially the same thing but with a full body workout rather than focusing on abs! Both are a challenging, yet fun way to get your exercise in!”

Three Things Kylie Liked: “I liked the fun atmosphere, I liked the instructor a lot and I like the great workout I got out of it.”

Dislikes: “None!”

Would Kylie take the class again?: “Yes!”

Core Cycle with Grace:

Point of View: Nerys Turcios, freshman

When: Tuesday and Thursday, 5:15 p.m.-6:15 p.m.

Where: Blue Studio

Activity Level: “I, at least, run once a week, but I try going to the gym 3-4 days out of the week.”

Overall Impression of the Class: “It is the hardest and most painful thing I’ve put my body through. I love it!”

Three Things Nerys Liked: Nerys liked “Grace’s enthusiasm,” “how fast paced the whole workout is,” and “out of all the group workouts this is the only one I look forward to doing.”

Dislikes: “The only thing I dislike out of the workouts is adding up resistance because it shows me I’m super weak.”

Would Nerys take the class again?: “Yes, I would definitely do it again.”

Butts N Gutts with Infiniti:

When: Mondays and Wednesday, 4:15 p.m.-5:15 p.m.

Where: Blue Studio

Point of View: Aleigh Rowe, freshman

Activity Level: “Walking to class and fitness classes about every 2-3 weeks.”

Overall Impression of the Class: “It’s challenging and definitely makes me sore, but it’s a lot fun and perfect for people who don’t work out every single day.” Three Things Aleigh Liked: “I LOVED the instructor, Infiniti. I like the pace we go at because it’s challenging, but I don’t feel like I’m going to pass out.”

Dislikes: “I guess I don’t like the crowdedness and sometimes they run out of equipment like the elastic bands.”

Would Aleigh take the class again?: “For sure!”

I really enjoy attending fitness classes at UWF, and I hope you find some inspiration from this article to hit the gym!