Wellness > Health

Her Campus UWF Queen: Carly Swanson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Her Campus UWF Queen of the Month recognizes inspiring women at the University of West Florida. This months queen is Carly Swanson. She is not only fitness goals but also a realistic role model for other students at UWF. Here’s all you need to know about Swanson’s exercise journey and how she stays motivated.

Her Campus UWF: What made you want to begin your exercise journey?

Carly Swanson: “I have always been active. I have been a competitive swimmer for 10 years, and I was in the weight room about three times a week my junior and senior year of high school. When I quit swimming, I decided that I wanted to continue lifting because I enjoyed it so much, and I didn’t want to be sitting around doing nothing.”

HC UWF: Why did you decide to share your journey with the world?

CS: “I started my fitness account a year ago right before I started my sophomore year of college. I wanted a way to hold myself accountable for working out and a way to track my progress. I decided to share my journey with the world because I want people to know the real aspect of fitness. Many Instagram accounts show only the highlights of their fitness journey, but I like to keep it real and show the good and the bad. I want people to know that you don’t have to be perfect all the time and that the life I was creating for myself was about balance.”

HC UWF: What is your goal for this journey?

CS: “My goal in this journey is to create a happy and healthy lifestyle. I want to learn how to keep a balance and be able to live my life while also taking care of myself.”

HC UWF: How do you stay motivated?

CS: “I get this question a lot, and I’m never really sure how to answer it because in all honesty I don’t stay motivated all the time. I take breaks from the gym often. I have days where I dread working out, but I also have days where I can’t wait to walk into the gym. The biggest thing for me is to remember why I started which is because I want to push myself to be the best that I can possibly be.”

HC UWF: What have you learned about yourself through this experience?

CS: “I have learned how mentally tough I am. Whether it was pushing through a workout that I never thought I’d be able to finish or just getting myself to the gym on days where I was dreading it, I learned that I can do anything I put my mind to which has helped me in and out of the gym.”

HC UWF: Do you believe a woman can be too muscular?

CS: “Not at all. I think that if a woman wants to be as big as she possibly can, then she should. If something makes you happy, I don’t think anything else matters. For me, being healthy and putting on muscle is my goal but that may not be someone else’s goal, and that’s totally okay.”

HC UWF: What advice would you give to women who want to begin their own journey to health?   

CS: “As basic as this sounds, just do it. The only thing stopping you from getting to where you want to be is you. Set goals for yourself and hold yourself accountable. Surround yourself with people that will motivate and push you to keep going because it won’t always be easy but it will definitely be worth it.”

Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.