8 Self-Care Tips Every College Student Needs to Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Self-care is something really important to practice. Not only does it help your mental state, but to your physical state as well. We have provided a few positive ideas to help practice self-care that will help you achieve an overall better lifestyle. 

1. Create routines.

Having a routine really helps. For example, a nightly routine helps you tell your body to wind down and sends the message that it’s time for bed. Turn off your phone an hour before you go to sleep, and opt for a book instead. Morning routines can help you wake up and get ready for the day. Set an alarm so that you have time to wake up and get yourself ready for the day. Routines can make you focused. Having something you can do every day amongst the chaos can really help when your stress is overwhelming.

2. Eat healthy and drink water.

Easier said than done, right? Set yourself a goal of how much water you want to drink. You can start with as little as one bottle of water a day and work your way up from there. This also applies to healthy foods. Maybe try to eat at least two healthy, dorm-cooked meals a week, instead of that ever so tempting fried food or pizza. Eating and drinking healthily will make you feel great, both physically and mentally.

3. Take a break from social media.

It doesn’t have to be a long break, and you definitely don’t have to quit cold turkey. But, you can definitely benefit from a two-hour break from Facebook. This will help you de-clutter your brain, especially from the constant arguments over politics and hatred. Use the time to find yourself instead! Having everyone not shove their opinions down your throat is a good relief.

4. Meditate.

This doesn’t have to be an hour-long sit down with complete silence. Meditation, by definition, is to engage in thought or contemplation. I personally like to think it’s a method you use to find yourself, your center. Whether it’s actual meditation or listening to your favorite music, you can use this time to find a place where you feel comfortable with yourself.

5. Self-Care Sunday.

Set up a day to dedicate to yourself. It doesn’t necessarily have to be Sunday, the name just sounds catchy. Commit to one day when you know you have time, and try to keep it consistent. Take the time to do a facemask, paint your nails, watch your favorite movie and eat your favorite foods. Doing this will keep you relaxed and give you something to look forward to, especially if your week took a turn downhill.

6. Take a long, hot shower or bubble bath.

It can help relieve your stress and tension in your muscles. Also, hot water opens up your pores. A nice shower or bath can help you center yourself and find yourself at peace, even if only a few moments. If you take a bath, you should definitely use a bath bomb and choose a relaxing scent like lavender.

7. Clean your room.

This one doesn’t sound as fun, I know. But a clean, organized room could also help ease your mind. When everything is organized and in its place, it’s not only visually appealing but it’s also calming to know you can find everything in your room again. At most, a clean room can help you feel better and get you out of any funk you might be feeling.

8. Binge your favorite show.

Watching your favorite show will always cheer you up! There’s a reason why you always watch it. Plus, watching could help you feel less stressed. If you have free time before you go to bed binge watching a show might be just what you need to relax. Even just one episode can help you.

Even if you don’t want to do anything, you need to take care of yourself. While some of these might not sound fun or appealing, making yourself focused, even if on one of these tasks, can help relieve the weight that you have on your mind. I know I’ve already said this, but it feels important to say again – just make sure you take care of yourself!

Cover image courtesy of Seed Spot

Evangeline Murphy is currently studying to get her BA in English: Creative Writing at University of West Florida. You can usually find her in her room, under a fluffy blanket watching Disney movies or reading. She hopes to use to degree to be an editor. Being paid to read is the dream.