kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Natural Remedies For Healthy Looking Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“Let food be your medicine and let medicine be your food”- Hippocrates

Acne impacts the lives of many adolescents and young adults. Over 85 percent of adolescents in industrialized nations are affected by acne and about 50 percent of young adults continue to deal with acne. There are many reasons that acne “acts up” and some studies suggest diet may influence acne development. Some other causes include hormones, environment, and genetics. Regardless of the cause, acne is something that people strive to cure with medications that can be harmful. Some people may find that modifying their diet in order to reduce acne is the way to go, and this might be less harmful for them compared to the medications. Some evidence suggests that a healthy lifestyle can play a part in reducing incidences of acne flare ups in some individuals. Some healthy lifestyle changes to try are:

• High fruit, veggie & whole grain consumption

• Reducing sugar consumption

• Reducing animal fat consumption by instead choosing lean meats and low-fat dairy products. Low-fat dairy can be a good source of protein even though there is some inconclusive evidence regarding dairy products have a negative impact on skin

• Choose healthy fats like nuts and seeds as well as vegetable oils and olive oils when cooking

• Try to get at least 10-20 minutes of sun exposure without the use of sunscreen if possible, especially in the summer months
I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout