This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Fall is a time for apple cider, pumpkins, and cozying up…and squash. And indeed, pumpkins are a type of squash! Squash is a vegetable that can be available in different seasons, but there are particular types that are at peak harvest in the fall and winter months, namely from early fall to late winter. These squashes would be called, as you would guess, Fall and Winter squash. Any of these seasonal squashes can frequently be interchanged among each other in the case of recipes or flavoring in addition to availability and cost in stores. Most of these vegetables will be naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free, sodium-free and will often contain vitamins like vitamin A, K, C and minerals like Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium. Squash is also a good source of fiber and tends to contain good amounts of plant protein as well.

Below is a list of the common Fall and Winter Squash:

• ​Acorn
  • Buttercup
  • Butternut
  • Carnival
  • Delicata
  • Hubbard
  • Spaghetti
  • Pumpkin

Think Outside the Squash:

Try this Butternut squash recipe for a light pizza that offers plenty of fiber, vitamin K, and gives a rich nutty flavor!

Below is another butternut squash recipe and a twist on an old classic recipe, apple crisp!

Add some flavor and color to your taco with these butternut squash and black bean tacos, it will provide some moisture and added sweetness.

This creamy butternut squash and lentil soup will warm you up for the cold months ahead. It also adds a little spice with the chili flakes and curry paste.

I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout