Benefits of Using Sports Drinks While Exercising

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

When working out, it is important to keep your body hydrated. The use of sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade are extremely popular with athletes who train and work out. What are the benefits of using these drinks versus water? Well, there are three main things sports drinks offer your body before, during, and after your workout.

Hydration

It is important to drink about two hours before working out. During a work out it is important to drink lots of fluid to replace what you are losing in sweat.

Carbohydrates

The carbohydrates that are found in sports drinks provide energy that delays fatigue while working out.

Electrolytes

When working out, you lose electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and chloride. Just like you need to replace the water in your body, you need to replace the electrolytes as well.

I am a freshman attending the University of Wisconsin Stout. My major is Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am from a small town in Southeast Wisconsin. I love everything and anything Disney. Recently, I have gotten into RunDisney. It brings my love of Disney together with living a healthier lifestyle. After college, I hope to obtain a job with Disney, preferably in the RunDisney division.
Her Campus at UW-Stout