Wellness > Health

Why I Prefer Group Fitness vs. Working Out Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Finding the inspiration to get up and exercise is often a very difficult process. In college, especially when you have to maintain schoolwork, a job, and a social life, it can seem daunting to find time to also squeeze in a workout. Studies show that exercise can improve sleep and mood, and just generally make you a healthier person. These are all things that college students could benefit from. There are so many options when it comes to getting fit, and an option that people are often quick to forget is group fitness. I personally am an advocate for group fitness and think that attending group fitness classes could be the determining factor for whether you stay in bed, or get up and get moving. Here’s why. 

Find Your Team 

One of the main aspects of group fitness that makes it a great motivational workout is the common theme of teamwork used to push you through the workout. Many instructors in classes such as yoga and cycling will ask you to feel the energy of those around you. It may sound silly, but in the moment, it could be the inspiration you need to get through the workout. Not only do people tend to feed off of the energy of others in the room, but they are also often made to feel as if they’re actually on a team. The instructor acts as the coach, giving tips on how to get through the workout and pushes the class members to their highest potential. When the workout gets hard, there is the knowledge that others around you are feeling the burn too, as a large group of people are all completing the same workout. Group fitness classes give a greater sense of community than solo workouts, and that connection built creates a higher motivation to exercise. 

Passion 

Many group fitness classes are centered around a specific theme or workout. For example, barre classes generally focus on components of yoga and ballet, HIIT workouts usually entail more core than strength exercises, and cycling workouts generally entail (quite obviously) riding a bike. The sustained theme in these workouts draws a lot of people in due to the fact that it is always known what’s in store. If you plan on just heading over to the gym, you might not know where to even begin your workout. Group fitness class begin with having a general idea of how the workout ahead is going to play out. Repetitive participation in certain fitness classes can also create new hobbies and passions. If you begin attending yoga classes, for example, and notice a change in your mental and physical health, you will probably add “Namaste” to your everyday diction. 

Network 

Not only is a workout with other people beneficial for staying motivated, it is also a positive way to build relationships with other people. Whether these relationships are just a person to workout with, a new friend, or a new mentor, group fitness classes provide an outlet for getting to know those around you. Instructors also play a vital role in this networking aspect, as they can often be positive role models. The main focus of many cycling, yoga, and other group fitness classes is the use of positive affirmations. Having an instructor who you know you can go to to hear nothing but positivity is something that many people yearn for in their day-to-day lives. Regardless of your instructor’s age, a certain admiration is held for the people who push us to be our best. 

women doing exercises
Photo by Luis Quintero from Pexels

If any of these things appeal to you, sign up for a fitness class near you! Whether you’re an avid fitness guru or a newbie to the world of exercise, there is something new out there just waiting for you to experience. Say goodbye to Planet Fitness and hello to a world of Sunday morning yoga with a side of brunch (if brunch doesn’t motivate you to workout, I’m not sure what will).

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!