Reflections of a Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

College is a wonderful, extraordinary experience, denied to many. As students surrounded by other growing, brilliant minds, it’s easy to overlook how truly lucky we are, how unique our experiences have been, and how beautiful our journey is to look back on. These four (or five, or six…) years transition us into the adults we miraculously become through classes, relationships, life-changing events, and spur-of-the-moment choices, and that, to me, is remarkable.

My time at the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse has been fairly typical, but also incomparable. As this chapter of my life comes to a close, I have some thoughts and advise—conclusions I have come to in my short 22 years.

Never underestimate the value of an education

It’s difficult to look over a shoddy resume and picture myself as a working professional. I sometimes doubt everything I’ve worked toward, since putting into words the skills I’ve acquired with my Liberal Studies degree sometimes seems impossible. It’s important to remember that every degree is different, and every unique combination of courses molds a person with a rare set of skills. Earning a bachelor’s degree is an accomplishment and graduating is a big deal—this is a milestone I once could only see in a very faraway future. Every one of us deserves to celebrate.

Be the change you wish to see

Oh Gandhi, has any line ever been quoted more than this? As common and overused as it may be, I never really felt I deserved to use this quote until one day I realized I am the change that I want to see in the world. It was when I discovered my passions that this side of me finally peeked out.

Listen to the positive voices and ignore the jerks

I’m the kind of person who can have a million people singing my praises, but as soon as one low grade or some insensitive classmate cuts at my insecurities, it will bother me for years. I once had a guy in one of my groups (for an informal assignment) tell me that I said “um” too much during my portion of the presentation. As an already nervous speaker, this snide comment was in no way helpful. Sometimes people expose their own flaws when they say or do hurtful things. Listening to people who really know me and love me is the only way to deal—they know how to put a positive and accurate spin on even the deepest insecurities.

Random roommates are the way to go

I wish I could go back and redo all the time and energy I put into crafting the perfect roommate combination. Everyone has their annoying quirks—and sometimes it’s better to leave those quirks undiscovered (like when it’s your best friend). Living with people has taught me a lot, and some of my most fulfilling friendships have come from living with complete strangers. After all, I’d rather have nothing gained than a ruined friendship.

Studying abroad was the best decision I ever made

Traveling across the Atlantic with no one I knew beside me was one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. It taught me that I am capable and left me feeling fortunate. It also somehow taught me that the world is small and unfathomably huge at the same time. Traveling abroad was a last-minute decision that I made on a whim, and it impacted me more than I can put into words. If I were to go back in time, my one and only change would be to plan a much longer trip. Living in a new place was great for not only learning about myself and another culture, it also gave me friendships that will always hold a special place in my heart—people who know me on a level that so many others in my life will never experience.

Be curious

This is especially true for people, like me, who enter college with a major already in mind. You might already know you’re good at math or really enjoy Spanish, but be open to all fields. I like to write, and I think it’s a useful skill, but I discovered that my passion doesn’t have to be limited to one area. One Women’s Studies class and I was hooked—it changed how I view everything and it continues to surprise me all the time. I didn’t even know what feminism was until I started college and now I’m hoping to involve it in my career. Feed your passions and open your mind because it will be worth it.

Exercise actually helps

College is food for anxiety, especially near the end. I’ve known far too many peers who have fallen into depression, and it’s becoming clear that these last couple semesters are hard for everyone. Exercising, especially if it can be done outside, does wonders for happiness.

Always be critical, but try to remain positive

Nothing comes bias-free. Advertisements are fueled by profit, advise from a friend is limited by her experiences, and every article was written by someone who comes from a certain standpoint. It’s hard to think positively when everything feels a little bit like a lie, but there is beauty in our differences and by hearing from a diverse group of voices we manage to get closer and closer to the truth.