This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Have you ever had that one person who shattered your world into pieces that you couldn’t find yourself in the sea of glass?

You forgot your self worth and began to hate the details that made you, you. Every girl you saw on Instagram and twitter became your version of perfection. Let me tell you, beauty is not defined in the amount of makeup you wear to cover your scars. It is not the length of your legs, color of your hair, or the tone of your skin. Beauty is something that can not be covered or hidden in the night. Beauty is the scars that grace your face from growing, it is the stretch marks you find on your legs and hips marking your time as a young woman, it is the creases near your eyes from years of laughter and moments of pain, beauty is found in the dead of night when your mind wonders to thoughts of the future or fears of the past, it is what is on the inside. Perfection does not define beauty, what beauty is there in perfection? Set yourself apart and embrace your smile, do what makes you feel good, whether it’s dressing up or wearing a killer shade of lipstick. Just know that beauty can not be bought, but formed with time,and once you’ve achieved the scars, that’s when you know you’ve truly lived. 

Hi my name is Madi! I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse as a Communications major. I love to sing, dance, play tennis, workout, cuddle my dog, and hang with my floor mates. I am a traveler and hope to visit all of Europe before I die.