Don’t Let Your Body Image Ruin Your Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The eagerness of New Year resolutions are fading and unfortunately the dreaded bikini season is approaching us. Some lucky people who chose sunray filled destinations for spring break will get a sneak peak at this before many. Whether it’s Cancun, Panama City, or South Padre, the sun will be shining, and where there is shining sun there is sure to be a deprivation of clothing. My advice to pull off a fun 2015 Spring Break is to not let your body image ruin your spring break.

Body image among young women these days is taking a serious plummet. Therefore, being surrounded by a thousand other girls in their swimsuits isn’t always the easiest thing to do. But why? Why is it that liking our bodies is seen as a problem? As females we have a bad habit of constantly complaining about parts of own bodies and comparing and contrasting ourselves to others. Stop! There is always going to be someone smaller, larger, more fit, or prettier. Comparing yourself to the other girls you see, whether it’s your friends, strangers, or the girl on the magazine cover is never a good idea. Nobody is Perfect! Yes, I know that is cliché to say but it needs to be said until people believe it! Each one of us has a different body type and with that comes a variety of different looks. When you really think about it, adding the stress of what you look like is no fun, when the reason you’re going on this vacation is to relax and most importantly to have fun!

To amp up your sprits and feel good when you’re on spring break there are a couple things you can do. For example, bring clothes you’re going to feel good in, especially when it comes to your swimsuit. Most models have unattainable bodies so it’s okay if we don’t’ look like them in the itsy, bitsy amounts of fabric they wear. Also you’ve probably already spent enough money towards this trip so don’t waste anymore on rapid weight loss gimmicks that one, don’t work that well, and two, aren’t’ healthy for you! Fasting won’t last long with the all-you-can-eat buffets at the resorts and the delicious looking entrées when you’re out to eat. Think realistically about the time when you’re there. Simple tricks like drinking more water and eating less salt will help with bloating when you’re scampering out on the beach. Less carbonation means less bloating, and less salt means less retention. So maybe instead of the vodka 7 you normally order, you could order vodka water with a twist of lemon, or ask for two limes and skip the salt line before the shot of tequila. Similar tastes, but a lot less bloating! Also don’t forget take advantage of those delicious tropical fruits they have to offer as a good snack, even if it is just the cherry in your cocktail!

One last thing to think about before you go is that whoever invited you to go on spring break didn’t invite you on account of the measure of your looks, they invited you because they want someone to share a couple margaritas with and have a good time! So stop complaining about how you wish you weren’t so tall, or how you have a small bump on the top of your nose, that no one else probably even notices, and use your “flaws” to your advantage. Embrace your body so you can have a wild and fun break!

Hello! I'm currently a junior at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse. I'm working on marketing major paired with a French major with a business concentration. I love to travel and experience new people and their different ways of life. My goal is to be able to mix my passion for travel and my witty outgoingness into a career that I will enjoy! With that, people often ask what I want to be when I grow up and my answer is simply that I'll go with the flow. It may sound cliché, but I like to try and be optimistic about what's out there and what life has to offer! Life is unpredictable so why not make the best of it! Being able to constantly learn and experience new things is something I'm all about! Since learning tends to correlate with school I think that school and work are very important, but I also believe in a life outside of those walls. I find sense of enjoyment in yoga and art along with spending time with my family and friends. Whether it's playing beach volleyball, climbing the beautiful bluffs that La Crosse has to offer, snowboarding or just relaxing outside with my dog you can find me outside(when the Wisconsin weather permits)! Not to mention I'm always up for a rip-roaring adventure! I hope you enjoy reading what I have to offer!