Campus Celebrity: Miss Wisconsin 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.
Where is your hometown?  Holmen, WI

When is your birthday? May 29, 1990

When did you graduate from UW-La Crosse?  Spring 2014

What was your major and minor?  Double Major: WGSS and Organizational CST

What do you enjoy most about UW-La Crosse and the La Crosse Community? I had a great experience at UW-La Crosse. I transferred from WTC in 2010 and it was definitely the right move for me. My professors were always very supportive. As the first in my family to go to college I always appreciated the extra guidance. The La Crosse Community is unlike any other. I’ve traveled a lot in Wisconsin and so far it is still one of the most beautiful areas in this state. No matter where I go, La Crosse will always be home to me.

What is your dream job? What did you want to be when you were little? When I was little I wanted to be a ballerina. Though dancing is a passion of mine, I’m glad I was encouraged to pursue college instead. In school I changed my mind about my career path many times. My aspirations went from becoming a teacher, to broadcasting, to nutrition. At this point I still don’t have a dream job. As Miss Wisconsin I’m gaining experience in PR and marketing along with endless opportunities to network. Perhaps a career in marketing is in my future. 

When did you begin competing in the Miss America Organization? What titles have you all served as? The first title I held was Miss Holmen in 2007. Since then I have earned the titles of Miss La Crosse/Oktoberfest 2009, Miss Seven Rivers 2011, Miss Wisconsin 2011 (serving as the successor to Laura Kaeppeler, Miss America 2012), Miss Madison Capital City 2014, and now Miss Wisconsin 2014. 

Your personal platform received a great deal of media attention from well recognized networks during Miss America. What is your personal platform, why did you choose this, and what have you done to promote this in Wisconsin? My platform is “Tyler’s Legacy: The Impact of Substance Abuse on the Family.” It is in memory of my older brother Tyler who ended his life in August 2005 after struggling with a methamphetamine addiction. The purpose of Tyler’s Legacy is to create awareness and shed light on the negative implications substance abuse and addiction can have on the family.  I was inspired by the national publicity my platform gained in Atlantic City during the Miss America Pageant and it continues to receive support throughout Wisconsin. I aspire to reach as many students as possible with my message and I will continue to market Tyler’s Legacy in schools throughout the state to accomplish that goal. In October I partnered with the national Red Ribbon Campaign promoting Red Ribbon Week, an educational campaign to encourage positive decision-making and a drug-free lifestyle. I look forward to working with local grassroots organizations such as COPE Services and Starting Point in Ozaukee County to expand my audience to the greater Milwaukee area. I want to be a voice for the thousands of people who have been impacted by substance abuse and addiction, and I’d like to be a catalyst for others to share their experiences as well. I plan to launch a series of podcast interviews with individuals that are willing to discuss how they’ve been impacted by substance abuse and addiction. Hopefully these stories will be informative and serve as messages of courage and faith. For more information on Tyler’s Legacy visit www.tylerslegacy.org, or Tyler’s Legacy on Facebook.

What do you believe young women gain from being involved with the Miss America Organization? For me personally, I’ve gained a sense of purpose and a voice from the Miss America Organization. I was a senior in high school when I was crowned Miss Holmen and it had only been two years since we lost Tyler. I was struggling with clinical depression and went to school every day in a fog. Becoming Miss Holmen was a huge accomplishment and positive for my entire family. I’ve built lifelong relationships with the volunteers in the MAO and learned life lessons that have established a clear path to my future success. I made lasting friendships at Miss America in Atlantic City last September with the other state titleholders. They taught me that everyone in this program have unique stories of trials and triumphs. Women who participate in the MAO give so much of themselves and have a lot to gain in return. 

What has been your biggest struggle while being involved with the Miss America Organization? Depression and anxiety are my personal demons. I’ve struggled with it for many years, which makes it difficult at times to be in the public eye. It’s amazing to look back at myself as a 17 year old in the MAO and realize how much I’ve learned about maintaining my mental health. It’s taken years of guidance and mentorship from trusted friends to help me achieve what I have. I never wanted my depression to stand in the way of my dreams. The road has been pretty bumpy, but I’m proud of where I’ve been and where it’s taken me.

What are your future plans after you finish your reign as Miss Wisconsin 2014 in June of 2015? To be honest, I have no idea where I will end up once my year as Miss Wisconsin is over. I plan on maintaining the connections I make and send out my resume early next year.  My sister and I have dreams of moving out east together but she’s starting the nursing program in La Crosse next semester so it wouldn’t happen for a while. I guess time will tell. For now, I’m just enjoying the ride, giving as much as I can, and taking it all in.