stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Ways to Stay Active During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Ever since quarantine started, it has been a struggle for many people to stay active. Now people are staying home more and activities such as sports are no longer in session. To make up for this lack of activities, here are some ways you can stay active during quarantine.

Go for a walk/run

One of the most simple ways to stay active is to go outside and take a walk or go on a run. This is also a good way to relax when stressed, because I find that I feel much calmer after I walk or run. You also do not have to do this alone; your family and friends can join, but make sure that they are all healthy first!

Try virtual workout classes

Unfortunately for the majority of people, in-person workouts and workout classes are not an option. But, a good alternative to this are online workout classes. Live workout classes are usually available at local gyms and yoga studios. You will have to do research and check what your local gyms and yoga studios are doing virtually and see which one works the best for you. There are also many colleges and universities that offer virtual workout classes from their gyms/recreational centers. These classes are offered on zoom or other platforms.

Find workout videos on YouTube or other platforms

A good alternative to live virtual classes are workout videos on YouTube. There are channels offering videos about any type of exercise you can imagine. You can also find many users on Instagram or TikTok that offer workout content. Personally, I follow some of these users on both Instagram and Tiktok and I feel like it has really helped me find new workouts, especially since the videos that are posted are always shorter and easier to focus on. But, if you are looking for full workout videos, YouTube is probably the best place to find those. Some good YouTube channels to start with are POPSUGAR Fitness, Chloe Ting, and Tone It Up.

Play some socially distanced sports

Even though it is not safe to play certain types of sports, there are many sports available that do not require contact and give a lot of distance between each player. Some examples of these sports are tennis, badminton,  cycling, golf, and dancing. All of these activities can be done outside and do not require close contact with other players. But, make sure to stay cautious and make sure all players are healthy and wipe down all equipment after using it. Also, another socially distanced activity for warmer weather is swimming, but an indoor pool can be used when the weather is colder.

Try using workout equipment if you have any at home

This may not be an option for all individuals, but personally I found that learning how to efficiently use the equipment I already had at home was very helpful for staying active during quarantine. The most common type of household workout equipment are dumbbells and they are easy to purchase. To learn how to use your workout equipment, it is best to find videos where the equipment is used so you can mimic the workouts that are shown. Additionally, there are many websites that give information about all different types of workout equipment and how to use it. I think it is best to use a combination of all resources, so you can get the most information.

These are good places to start in order to stay active. But remember, you can always get creative and find different activities and ways to stay active!

Hi! I'm Christina, I am a 2nd year and I am planning on studying biology or commerce (still figuring things out). In my free time, I enjoy working out, volunteering, photography, and baking.