This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Bad body days can be as common as bad hair days. In one moment, you’re standing in front of the mirror feeling sexy and confident, and in the next, you’re suddenly hyper aware of your flaws. Nothing has changed within that time period, but the way we feel about our bodies fluctuates frequently. So, how do we deal with bad body days?

You’re Feeling Down Today – Avoid Body Checking Behavior

Be gracious to yourself. If you’re already feeling down, don’t seek out actions that will make you feel worse. Avoid physical exercise if you think you’ll end up nitpicking your form, progress, or the way you look while you’re at it. Focus on activities that prioritize your brain or heart instead. Spend some time reading a book or hang out with friends. Use bad body days to appreciate your intelligence and personality instead! 

Find the Root of the Problem

Sometimes, self-consciousness is a side effect of some other negative emotion we’re experiencing. Take a moment to dig for the root of the problem. What’s been going on in your life lately? What has made you upset? How is it affecting your perception of yourself? Personally, I like to unravel my thoughts on paper or even out loud. Consider journaling or recording you talking to yourself.

Allow Yourself to Simply Exist

For some, tackling bad body days means heading into battle with a full face of makeup and a really cute outfit! For others, dolling up only makes it worse. In fact, you might go from nitpicking your body to nitpicking your makeup skills, your wardrobe, or even your fashion sense. Know that it’s okay to let yourself be. Who cares if you’re in sweats? Or if your hair is unwashed? Cut yourself some slack and let yourself be.

Have Faith – It’s Temporary

Whether it’s a bad week or a bad day, I find that a good night’s sleep always helps to rejuvenate the spirit. On a brand new day with brand new possibilities, have hope that tomorrow will be a great body day!

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!