This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

I am sure almost all of us know the Halloween rhyme, “trick or treat smell my feet give me something good to eat.” Classic little tune to sing when kids go trick or treating for Halloween. The treats are usually candy, chocolate or some people give out pretzels (I have no idea why). These treats are not to just give out, most of us love snacking on them while being scared out of our minds watching a scary movie. If you’re tired of plain old candy, I have some other treats your skeletons might enjoy.

Halloween does not have to only be about sweets, there is room for some salty foods like those people who give out pretzels. For these sweet and salty treats, you do not have to be a professional baker. Think of these treats as normal food and desserts with a spooky makeover.

To start, let’s take a look at how to make delicious sweet treats:

• Mummy Brownies

• Bake brownies → cut up into a small rectangle → drizzle icing back and forth covering the mummy (brownie) → top it off with two candy eyes

• Monster Stare Down Cake

• Delicious if you do not mind being looked at…

• Bake cake → Split Oreo in half → use junior mints as the pupils and stick them onto the icing of the oreo → stick the Oreo eyes onto the frosted cake

• Brownie Bats

• Fan of The Vampire diaries? Then perfect these are for you!

• A regular brownie → Oreos broken in half to use as wings → Oreos dipped in fudge as the bat head → two candy eyes to put on the fudge Oreo

If you’re feeling a little “salty” because you do not know what to dress up as for Halloween then here ya go:

• Mummy Dogs (I don’t know what my obsession is with mummies)

• Regular hot dog → use crescent dough (I use Pillsbury) wrap them all the way around the hot dog → use mustard for eyeballs

• Jack-O-Peppers

• Get a full-sized bell pepper (preferably orange) → clean it out and carve a face → stuff it with shredded chicken or cheese

• Spider Pb&J (Salty and Sweet)

• Make peanut butter and jelly sandwich → cut bread into a circle → Use pretzel sticks for the arms and legs → place the pretzel sticks on the left and right of the sandwich → use chocolate chips for eyes

I hope these gave you all some fun ideas and that they satisfy your spooky soul this coming Halloween!

Hi, I'm Natalie and am a junior at UTSA! Born and raised in San Antonio, I basically live at La Cantera mall. Catch me writing, reading or laughing too much!