neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

The new Fall semester has started so I would like to offer a welcome — or welcome back — to everyone on campus! Fall does not only mean the beginning of a new school year, it means a changing of the seasons. Many of us, myself included, are looking forward to the change of weather. However, Fall and Winter mean more than sweaters and pumpkin spice lattes.

Many people experience seasonal depression, especially paired with the stress of the semester. After all, the colder it gets, the closer we are to finals. Firstly, there is nothing to be embarrassed about if you feel you suffer from depression, seasonal or otherwise. It is nothing you chose, and lots of your peers feel the same way. Don’t feel afraid or alone, it is sad that stigma exists.

Luckily, there are resources on campus to help if you’re feeling particularly down during these colder months, or anything else. UTSA counseling services are free to all students (with the exception of some in-depth assessments). The Counseling Service office has locations on both Main and Downtown Campus. Unfortunately appointments must be scheduled over the phone, I know this may produce anxiety for some. However, if you can bring yourself to it, your mental health is more than important enough. However, if you are facing an emergency and they’re open you are welcome to walk-in. If they are closed in a time of emergency their website provides a hotline.

At a time of year where depression is at an all time high, try to keep an eye on your mental health and do not be afraid to reach out for help.

UTSA counseling services can be found at https://www.utsa.edu/counsel/index.html

If you facing what you consider to be an emergency or extreme circumstance please call the Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255

Currently: running to class Later: running for office
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.