Style > Beauty

Is Honey the Answer to your Skincare Routine’s Prayers?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Honey goes in our tea, in our Pinterest smoothie recipes, and maybe folded into a warm tortilla with some cinnamon (it’s seriously life changing.) But if you haven’t heard, honey is truly a skincare game-changer. Here’s what you need to know:

• Honey is naturally antibacterial, so it’s perfect for acne-prone skin.
  • It’s very moisturizing, so you’re sure to get that glow.
  • Organic honey has small crystals or honeycombs, which are a great gentle exfoliant. 

Honestly what more do you need to hear? I get it, it’s sticky, it’s a mess, it doesn’t give you that luxurious lather that your favorite face wash does. And, what kind of beauty fanatic would I be if I didn’t try it myself?

So, I sat down and read all of the mommy-bloggers, the skincare pages, the Pinterest hacks, everything. After doing my research, I settled on a $4 tub of organic wildflower honey from Target. And yes, you read that right, Target. The queen herself. 

My rules were simple, take my makeup off as I normally would (a cotton pad and micellar water), and then coat my face in honey. I find it important to note that everything I read said ORGANIC RAW honey. Added sugars can actually clog pores, and you will not have the same results.

Most of the research I did told me that the longer you leave it on, the better, so I would aim for at least five minutes, if not longer. Typically, I would put it on, go pick out my clothes for the next day, get dressed, etc. to pass the time. Then I rinsed it off and moisturized as normal, and that’s it! The simplest skincare routine you’ll probably ever see. To preface, I struggle with hormonal acne, so if I’m not on my period, I experience little-to-no breakouts. What I do struggle with is dullness, extreme dry patches, (thank you Eczema) and the occasional pimple.

So, what happened? Well, I’m not gonna lie, it was sticky. As a person who hates being sticky or feeling messy, this was a struggle for the first couple of days. Another downside was when I left it on my fly-away hairs would get stuck to my face, or honey would mysteriously wind up on random items around my dorm. 

Lip gloss in the wind, eat your heart out. 

However, after some adjusting, the benefits really did outweigh the negatives. Seriously, after the first wash, my skin actually felt softer, and I wish I was joking. As someone with very dry skin, this was already my new favorite thing. As the two weeks that I decided to do this went by, my skin looked more hydrated, more glowy, and overall just healthier. For those wondering, I did get period acne during this experiment. While the pimples didn’t disappear, I do think they healed faster than normal. 

All-in-all, I would 100% recommend this to anyone even kind of curious about it. If you have $4 and a sink, you can try this. Or rather, you NEED to try this. If anything, just to kickstart your #HotGirlSemester.

Miranda is a senior at UTSA finishing her degree in Creative Writing. She is the Campus Correspondent for UTSA's chapter of Her Campus as well as being a member of Phi Mu. When she's not writing, Miranda can be found taking pictures that match her insta aesthetic, working out, or looking up her friends' astrology charts. Lots of aries energy over here.
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.