This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

“Freshman Fifteen” it’s a term almost all of us have heard. It refers to the 15 pounds most freshman gain in their first year of college. The three most common excuses freshman give as to why they are gaining weight are; I don’t have time to exercise, I don’t know how to exercise and I don’t know what to eat. There are solutions to each of these problems that could help every freshman avoid gaining weight this year.

Not having time to exercise is a big issue, because of full class schedules and long study sessions. Riding a bike around campus is a great way to fit in exercise and not be at a loss for time.

Another good way to fit in exercise is visiting the rec in between classes or early in the morning. Exercising early in the morning can help wake your body up and motivate you for the day ahead of you. It’s important to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, but if that isn’t possible the important thing is to exercise whenever time permits you to even if that means only on the weekend. Great so now you have time to exercise, but how do you exercise?

Don’t fret it’s not as difficult as you may think. The rec has a wide variety of workout classes you could take throughout the day. If you don’t feel comfortable going to one of these classes walking the campus or jogging it during your free time is a simple way to exercise. The rock wall on campus is also a great way to have fun while exercising. In addition their are also several great ways to exercise off campus; taking a dance class, going to a yoga class, walking at a park, taking a class at a gym and so many other creative options to exercise.

Exercise isn’t the only way to stay healthy though, eating is very important when trying to be healthy and avoid gaining weight. Of course what’s important for college students is that all meals be quick, simple to make and cheap. Luckily there are several healthy eating options that meet all this criteria. First and foremost it’s important to not skip any meals and to drink lots of water throughout the day.

Breakfast is one of simplest meals it can be as simple as a healthy granola bar, yogurt or a piece of fruit.

For lunch you can skip the instant noodles and instead reach for a pre-made salad, most grocery stores have salads that aren’t too expensive, require virtually no prep time and they have a wide variety to choose from so you never feel like your meals are repetitive.

Throughout the day you can snack on nuts, a piece of fruit, roasted seaweed and apple chips.

Dinner is a little bit of a harder meal, because most college students probably don’t want to cook much, but a simple piece of grilled chicken can go great paired with some vegetables, instant quinoa or sweet potato fries.

So don’t be the freshman making excuses this semester be the freshman that doesn’t gain those 15!

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor