This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Beginning in May, I started a journey that I honestly didn’t expect to go on for as long as it has. I have something called polycystic ovarian syndrome, or PCOS, which is a hormone disorder that causes a lot of really crappy symptoms. Girls with PCOS typically have irregular periods, painful cysts on their ovaries, trouble getting pregnant and an intolerance to a lot of sugars and carbs. After a lot of visits to my doctor*, I decided to give up carbs and sugar to try to control my symptoms, and it worked so well.

Giving up these foods was really hard at first, but it’s been about four months, and I hardly even notice the foods I’m missing anymore. I’ve lost weight and managed my PCOS, and I also just feel so much healthier in general. I still have cheat meals once a week for when I’m really craving a donut or pizza, though, or else I’d probably go crazy. Along the way, I’ve learned a lot of recipes and tips to make yummy low-carb meals and snacks. Here are some of my favorite:

1. A classic salad.

Now this might be obvious, but salads are a great way to get a lot of variety during a low-carb diet. There are endless different greens, toppings and dressings that can be combined for a million different meals. Also, this is a great option if you’re trying to stick to low-carb in the cafeteria!

2. Sheet-pan chicken (or any other meat) and vegetables.

This is another meal that can provide a ton of variety based on your personal taste. All you have to do is put some (seasoned) chicken or other meat on a pan with aluminum foil and olive oil. Then, add whatever vegetables you’d like, along with some extra seasoning or herbs for flavor. Fold over the aluminum foil to cover the chicken and vegetable, press the edges down to seal the foil, and cook at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is done. Simple and delicious!

3. Breakfast for dinner.

Who doesn’t love an excuse to eat breakfast for dinner? There are a lot of low-carb breakfast options out there, including eggs, bacon, sausage and certain fruits in small quantities. You can even make an omelet and combine it all in one!

4. Chicken salad and celery.

Along with the other options, chicken salad is another food that starts with a simple base and can be made into a million different flavors. My favorite is chicken salad with a small serving of apples, pecans, and parsley chopped and mixed in. Also, if you don’t like celery, you can eat this with any vegetable or even by itself!

*Low-carb and keto are diets that aren’t recommended for everyone. Make sure you visit a doctor or nutritionist to develop a diet plan that works for you and takes your body into account!

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.