samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Handle Midterm Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Stress is something that never seems to subside while you’re in college. Students stress about tests, class, work, friends, food and pretty much everything. If you’re a college student and you haven’t had at least one mental breakdown, you need to bring me the solution ASAP!  These stress levels seem to heighten when it gets close to midterms and finals, and since midterms are right upon us, let’s go over a few tips to help ease the stress.

1)Study a little at a time.

Break down your study times so that you are not cramming the night before. If you try to learn six weeks of information in one night it’s more than likely you’re not actually absorbing the information. Slow down and study in increments, and you’ll be more likely to succeed.

2)Keep ibuprofen handy.

If you’re anything like me, staring at a bunch of notes for hours on end gives you a headache, and once I get a headache, I don’t feel like doing anything at all. Don’t let something as simple to fix as a headache prevent you from getting important work done! Having something close by that will ease that pain will make studying go much easier.

3)Remember that this isn’t your final grade.

If you get your midterm grades in and they’re not want you wanted, remember that you can use the rest of the term to bring the grade back up. This grade is just used to gauge your current comprehension of the class, so use this to your advantage and step up your game. Instead of seeing a bad grade as something negative, use it as motivation to work hard and stay on track for the rest of the semester.

Midterms are no one’s favorite time of the year, but just remember that these grades do not define you. They are given to you to help you improve yourself. Study hard and good luck! You’re going to be fine.

Cheyenne Johnson is a sophomore at the University of Tennessee at Martin and she is currently studying Agricultural Communications. Cheyenne comes to Martin from the small town of Scotts Hill that is located in West TN. She discovered she loved Martin once she had the chance to participate in the Tennessee Governors School of the Agricultural Sciences She is a sister of Sigma Alpha and is serving as the chapter Secretary. She is also a part of collegiate FFA as well as other organizations on campus. She is extremely excited to start this new journey with Her Campus at UTM.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.