This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

You are carrying so much heaviness in your big, beautiful heart. I know it’s a lot, and I’m so proud of your strength. But you’ve forgotten something — you’ve forgotten that you don’t have to hold on so tightly. I know it may feel as though you’ll break if you let go, but you are so much stronger than you think, and you don’t have to carry it all alone. You are innately connected to those around you. Like an aspen tree forest, there’s a root system of energy supporting you, helping you to carry all of this heaviness.

Sense the clenched fist that is within your chest, holding tightly, trying to protect you. See if you can slowly release it, instead forming a gentle, cupped palm that is willing to catch all the raindrops that pour down on you. The rain will still fall, but instead of fighting, observe. Instead of exhausting yourself with gripping and tensing, you can curiously watch them pool in your hand. 

Notice how it feels to hold the things you need to hold with less tension, less strain. You may be able to see it all more clearly, which can hurt. But see if you can let the sensations pass through you. Your body might try to fight them, but breathe deeply, remind your body that it is okay, safe. Keep feeling what you need to feel. They can only pass if you give them space to exist for a while. 

Now, see if you can let these things you’re carrying trickle through your fingertips and out of your body. No need to violently throw them out, just let them know they’ve had their time, and it’s time to move on. Feel these sensations flow out of your body, down into the earth, and into the root system below, ready to support you. 

This process will never feel easy, it will always hurt. But as you allow your feelings to exist in you for a while, you make space to understand them and to let them go. What we resist persists — when we stop resisting all of the uncomfortable heaviness within us, we can finally stop exhausting our energy on things that are not meant to stay. 

You are so much stronger than you think, and the universe is constantly conspiring to support you and the desires of your big, beautiful heart. 

Pok Rie

Being able to express creativity is such an important component of mental wellness, but the pressure surrounding art-making often deters people from even trying. Approaching creative activities with a playful mindset can allow you to truly enjoy engaging in imaginative, therapeutic activities like these ones. 

Elle is majoring in Communications and Modern Dance! She loves clouds, music, and sticky notes :)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor