Why You Should Go to Red Butte Garden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Red Butte Garden is a botanical garden connected to the University of Utah. It spans over 21 acres and is full of paved paths to make visiting easy for everyone! Even though the garden is conveniently located right above campus by the dorms, people sometimes don’t even know that it exists. Here are some reasons why you should take a day to visit Red Butte Garden.

It’s BEAUTIFUL!

No matter what time of year you visit the garden, it’s beauty will take your breath away. It is open all year and their plants change seasonally. From beautiful flowers in the summer to fall foliage you will definitely be inspired to improve your own personal garden (or collection of windowsill succulents) when you go.

You will be able to get out in nature

Even though we live in the amazing state of Utah, which has everything you could ask for in regards to outdoor activities, we don’t take the time to get outside enough! Whether you are coming up here on your break to eat lunch or if you’re spending the whole day here, take some time to go outside, get some fresh air and enjoy the garden.

You can take a picnic (and wine!)

We all love a picnic. If you are looking for a good spot to go with friends or on a date, Red Butte Garden is PERFECT. Pack up your favorite cheese and crackers, sandwiches, and yummy dessert, and head up to Red Butte Garden.You truly won’t find a more picturesque place for a picnic; just don’t forget your favorite bottle of wine!

And… it’s completely free for students to enter the garden!!

Yes you read that right. Entrance to the garden is free for all U of U students. Just show up and bring your student ID and you will be good to go. If you are not a student, here is a link to their usual daily rates.

BONUS: They host fun events and concerts

Red Butte Garden is always having events like family nights and Garden after Dark that visitors of all ages can enjoy! Their summer concert series is one of the most anticipated summer events in Salt Lake City. Check out their line up and how to buy tickets here

The next time you have a free day and want to get outside and explore nature, make sure to head over to Red Butte Garden. You’ll leave feeling relaxed, inspired and will definitely have learned some things along the way!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 34, 5

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!