rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Dogs are the Best Stress Reliever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Stress. It’s a real thing and it’s terrible. Stress can take a toll on the typical collegiate. We are always trying to find ways to just breathe. Some may go to the nail salon, take a bike ride or eat some good food. However, the best stress reliever that exists is just petting a pup or two!

1. Furry buddies

These pups just want to play with you all day. No matter what, you can’t help but smile when they climb onto your lap and try to give you some puppy kisses.

2. Allergic? Here are some pups for you!

Some people may not enjoy pups, because they get a runny nose and itchy eyes. Don’t worry, there are always dogs that satisfy the entire audience! Poodles, Maltese, bichon frise, Yorkshire terrier, and more are all hypoallergenic which means you are less likely to have an allergic reaction to them.

3. “I don’t own a dog.”

Not everyone may own a dog to play with, but there are always other options. You can go to dog adoption centers to play or volunteer. Usually during midterm week or finals week, you can find therapy dogs around campus. Hang out with a friend that has a dog and then tell them you’re only there because of their dog.

4. “But I like cats more…”

Ok, but do cats like you? Dogs are ALWAYS excited to see you. They love you unconditionally. They can be super active or some may be relaxing lap dogs that just want to nap with you.

5. Owning a dog is stressful

Owning a dog sure has its needs. There may be times when your pup will make accidents in the house or chew up your favorite items, but then why would you buy/adopt a dog if it’s basically like taking care of a human being? Even with the stress of tending to another life, you know at the end of the day, you love your pup and your pup loves you. The best stress reliever in the world is willing to cuddle up with you and take all your worries away.

Now go pet a puppy! But don’t forget to ask first, if the pup is not yours.

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor