Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon

Want Something to Bake? Try These Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Quarantine has required many of us to pick up some new hobbies or practice some old ones to improve them. While I, unfortunately, have to admit I have spent a questionably large amount of my quarantine time on TikTok, I spent some time cooking and baking too. I personally enjoy cooking more, but I made some delicious almond-flour-based cookies that ended up tasting great, so I wanted to share. They’re made with healthier ingredients and have a slightly crisp texture on the outside, and are soft and chewy on the inside. They are flavorful and as all cookies do, go perfectly with a glass of milk. The ingredient list isn’t too long and the prep is simple. The only difficult thing will be trying not to eat them all in one day! 

Ingredients:

• 1 ¾ cup almond flour

• ¼ cup coconut sugar 

• ½ tsp baking soda

• ¼ tsp salt

• ¼ cup maple syrup 

• 1 egg (use a flax egg to make these cookies vegan!)

• 1 tbsp melted coconut oil 

• 1 tbsp almond milk (add more if the batter appears too thick) 

• Chocolate chips or chopped up chocolate bar (I added about 3 tbsp chopped chocolate from an Alter Eco dark chocolate bar)

Brook Buchan / Spoon

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°

2. Combine almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.

3. Add maple syrup, egg, coconut oil, and almond milk to the same bowl and combine. 

4. Fold in chocolate. 

5. Roll dough into small ball shapes and place on a lined baking sheet. 

6. Cook in the oven for ~12-15 minutes; when you can stick a toothpick through the middle and have it come out dry, they’re ready!

7. Enjoy! 

how to lose a guy in 10 days gif eating
Paramount Pictures / Giphy

My favorite sweet treats to bake are the ones that are tasty and simple, and luckily these cookies are both. They’re a great mid-day snack or dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth. And if you want, you can customize the add-ins and mix in some nuts, coconut flakes, or anything else you’d like along with or instead of chocolate. If you’re looking to begin baking more often, this is a great recipe to start with. Once you make them, you can share them with your friends and family or have a few and stash the rest away for yourself later!

Senior majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish :)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor