Three Meatless Meal Prep Ideas to Try This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Now that spring semester is in full swing, some of us are probably spending a lot more time on campus. Whether you’re at the library, hitting the gym, or in back-to-back classes, time is definitely limited. While there are plenty of food options available on campus that are fast, buying meals every day can be expensive. Therefore, meal prepping even for a couple days a week can be super beneficial money and health-wise! While meats can be very good for you, cooking them can also be time intensive, and they also very perishable. Personally, I like to make things that can last in my fridge longer. Here are three great meatless meal prep ideas I use very often! Also a disclaimer, I buy all my food at Trader Joe’s but you can get these ingredients anywhere!

1. Pasta Salad

As a pasta addict, this is always my go-to meal base when I’m thinking of meal prep recipes. To make sure I get more protein, I often use brown rice/quinoa or red lentil pasta. I typically mix in baby spinach, heirloom or sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, chickpeas, and dress it with either Greek or Italian dressing. The perfect setup for pasta salads goes as follows: any pasta type, a vegetable or two, a cheese, a legume/protein, and dressing. Definitely add or subtract some of those categories to make the perfect one for you! I’ve found it best to cook the pasta ahead of time then keep it in the fridge on it’s own. Then before I leave for the day, I add all the ingredients together, making sure to put the more dense ingredients like the pasta and dressing at the bottom so it’s easy to mix in later.

2. Quinoa and Lentils

I like pairing a grain like rice or quinoa with a curry-type item for a quick and easy meal. While I prefer to use quinoa, you can also use white rice, brown rice, couscous, etc. I typically cook my grain in a saucepan or rice cooker for a soft consistency, then, combine it with a bag of Madras Lentils from Trader Joe’s. I like these the best because they come in a bag that does not require refrigeration and has a long shelf life! However, any type of lentils or curry works as well. As an alternative, Trader Joe’s also sells a Tikka Vegetable bag by the same brand as the lentils that are also delicious. Each serving has plenty of protein and fiber to keep you full and energized longer than anything else. 

3. Modified Breakfast Burrito

This meal prep doesn’t only have to be a breakfast item, it’s great for any time of day. Unlike a typical breakfast burrito, I try to make sure it is rich in iron and vitamin C. To start, you can use any tortilla. I have used brown rice tortillas before, but found that they are harder to fold and almost always break (still tasty though!). Flour or corn tortillas are perfect, especially when heated up. To achieve this iron and vitamin-rich dish, I mix in baby spinach, diced tomatoes, sweet potato, and a cheese with the eggs. Iron doesn’t always have to come from an animal product! Easy to wrap up in foil or place in a container, no utensils needed.

Starting to prep can be a lot of effort, but even if you start with a few simple meals, it’ll be much easier to do more. Try out these three vegetarian recipes this week and even modify them however you like! There are endless combinations, so try what works best for you. Start your weeks better with some tasty and healthy options!

Image Credit: 1, 2

I'm Anna and I am in the Chemical Engineering program at the U! I'm from Seattle, WA and came to Utah for school. Other organizations I am part of are ASUU, AIChE, SWE, the Utah Freeskier Society, and I'm a host at Porcupine!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor