Secret Spots in SLC You Didn’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Salt Lake City often gives off a bad first impression, of being boring and vanilla city (no pun intended), especially if you aren’t much of a nature person. But with a little guidance and some pushes in the right direction, you can find some hidden gems in the salty city.

Silver Star Hardware

This isn’t your average hardware store – Silver Star Hardware is chock full of knick knacks, beautiful pieces for your home, and, of course, some hardware. If you’re ever looking to revamp your drawer knobs, light switch covers, or just find some wall decorations, Silver Star Hardware is the unexpected maze of wonder for you.

Decades

If you’re in the mood to thrift, but are looking for more of a treasure hunt, than a simple exploration, Decades is the perfect antique store for you. Filled with racks upon racks of clothes from all eras, the soft radio of this shop will put you into the mood for the incredible dresses, suit coats, and accessories curated in this spectacular gem of a store.

Tosh’s Ramen

Nothing is more comforting than warm soup on a cold day, and this tiny restaurant is the perfect place for delicious, comforting ramen. Stepping into Tosh’s Ramen immediately fills me with a sense of calm, and the ramen options are all incredible. My personal favorite is the Shoyu ramen. The egg is always perfectly runny, and I find myself craving the broth every time it rains. This is without a doubt my go-to spot for ramen.

Iceberg Drive Inn

If you’re looking for delicious shakes that taste like that have history, Iceberg is the perfect spot. Whether you drive through, sit at the picnic tables out front, or head into the small seating area inside, the experience of Iceberg’s shakes is just as good as their shakes. They also serve hamburgers, onion rings, and any other diner-style food you’re looking for.

Redwood Drive In Theatre​

A good drive in movie is an incredibly unique experience — filling your car with pillows and blankets, piling as many friends as you can into it, and blasting the stereo is way better than sitting in any movie theatre. And Salt Lake City’s Redwood Drive In is the perfect place to experience a classic drive in. They even feature new movies, so you can skip the theatre trip, and just head to the drive in, paying per car instead of per person.

Salt Lake is filled with delicious restaurants, eclectic shops, and endless adventures that this list doesn’t even begin to cover. Even though we’re famous for the beautiful nature that surrounds us, our great city has so much more to offer us – all it takes is a little digging.

Image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Ailish Harris is a Stage Management and Performing Arts Design transfer student at the University of Utah. She's originally from Salt Lake City, UT, but was lucky enough to attend Emerson College in Boston, MA for her first 3 semesters of college. She has written for both Her Campus Emerson and Her Campus Utah, and is the current Editor in Chief for Her Campus Utah! She is a student leader in many capacities, working as the Secretary for Stage Managers at the U and as the Historian for the Department of Theatre's Student Advisory Committee. She loves Halloween, cooking, theatre, documentaries, organization, fashion, her pet hedgehog Chester, true crime, and Her Campus!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor