How to Workout in the Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It is getting colder out, which means your motivation for going outside for a run is dropping as quickly as the temperature is. Thinking about working out seems almost like a sin when you know you should be staying in with your favorite cozy blanket and a peppermint mocha. But all the different food you’ve been eating this holiday season is getting the best of you and making you feel guilty. Although working out with the cold weather seems almost impossible, it can actually be not as bad, if not better, than running during any other season.

Here are some easy tips for how to workout in the cold weather:

Dress warm, but don’t overdo it. For running in cold weather, it is all about layering. However, it is not necessary to go all out. You don’t need to wear a giant parka and snow pants; you will surprisingly end up dripping in sweat just ten minutes in. All you need for a run in the cold is a long sleeve shirt, a running jacket, leggings, gloves, a hat, and you are ready to go. It may be a little cold to start off, but you will warm up in no more than five minutes.

Find a workout buddy. Nothing is worse than having no motivation and having no one to help give you it. Finding a workout buddy this winter season is the best way to get you out there and keep you out there. Workout buddies are known to keep each other going and push each other to do better. What better way to get you motivated to workout than having a workout buddy by your side that will struggle with you and also make you better?

Hit up the gym. If you really, really are not about to step out in the snow – let alone the cold itself – then maybe think about just going to the gym. The gym is available all year, and some gyms are even open 24 hours. You can go practically anytime you want. and most definitely don’t have to worry about facing the cold, except for the walk from your car to inside the actual gym.

Find ways to workout at home. If going out in the cold and going to the gym is so not for you, then maybe working out at home is your best bet. There are many different workouts that you can do in the comfort of your own home, you don’t even have to change out of that sweatshirt you wear way too much without washing it enough. From your stairs to any chair you can find, or even just an open area in your place, you practically are ready to workout at any time. There are tons of different videos available on YouTube for at home workouts that are guaranteed to make you work, you just have to make sure you don’t get distracted by other things going on around the house.

No matter what your preference is, there will always be some way you will be able to workout this winter. Just find that motivation and you are ready to go.  

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor