Girls on the Run: Empowering Girls from Start to Finish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The goal of Girls on the Run is simple: to inspire and empower as many girls as they can reach. Girls on the Run encourages young girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident through their unique curriculum, helping girls get the tools needed to be successful and achieve goals while weaving exercise throughout the program. The youth development program aims to enable girls in 3rd-8th grade celebrate their bodies, raise their voices, and embrace their unique gifts while developing social, psychological, and physical skills.  At the conclusion of the 12-week program, girls will complete a 5k running event to celebrate their journey of building emotional, social, mental and physical health. Through focus on self and body image, peer support, parental encouragement, presence of role models, and cultural support, the non-profit works to positively transform the way both girls and women perceive themselves and help them find a successful place in society. Regardless of a family’s ability to pay, GOTR offers their life-changing program to all girls interested.

The program began in 1996 in Charlotte North Carolina, sparking the international organization by 2000. Starting with one school, the program now has over 200 councils in each of the 50 states. The program runs off the help of it’s 100,0000 volunteers, in order to serve 185,000 girls yearly. The Utah council began in 2007 with two schools, with a total of thirty girls participating. Today, the program reaches over 1,500 girls in Utah at 100 sites, a third of which assist low-income girls attending Title 1 Schools. 

Why is Girls on the Run important?

Research shows an extremely positive connection between physical activity and academic achievement in girls and women. Adolescent girls are also twice as likely as boys to suffer of anxiety and depression, and physical activity acts as an effective antidepressant and of psychotherapy. A 2015 Women’s Sports Foundation study reports that only 25% of girls in the nation are at appropriate fitness levels, half the amount of physical activity boys achieve daily. By the time they’ve reached the age of fourteen, twice as many girls than boys have dropped out of sports, and receive 1.3 million less opportunities than boys to continue playing them due to the imbalance of boys and girls teams.

So, how can they help you?

Not only does Girls on the Run allows girls to reach their full potential, but the women who volunteer as coaches and running buddies as well. The program is always looking for enthusiastic, dedicated women looking to make a positive difference in girls lives, and the world as a whole. Sound like you?  As a coach you will become a role model, friend, and confidante to an array of girls, bringing a voice of love and reason in their lives. Most importantly, you will brighten young girls’ future. The program will build strong leadership skills and promote personal growth, as one works to provide girls with the tools and resources necessary to be successful. And If running isn’t your favorite thing in the world, that’s okay! Girls on the Run is more than a running program, and you don’t need to be a runner to participate!

If you’re interested in volunteering or just learning a little more about Girls on the Run, check out their website or one of the many volunteer dates and opportunities, including two coach and volunteer training sessions occurring January 28th and February 11th at the University of Utah. They’re also looking for a dynamic Marketing and Event Coordinator to support their team, so if that interests you get your resume in by December 19th!

Erin is a senior at University of Utah currently pursuing strategic communications major with writing and rhethoric minor. She's passionate about all things creative, and hopes one day to work in the film industry. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor