This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Change has always been something that I have struggled with as I don’t like the feeling of uncertainty — it brings up anxious feelings that are difficult to deal with. I’ve had to learn to live in the moment and try to not dwell on the past or anxiously await the future. This is definitely not something that is easy to for me to do, but it’s something that I’m actively working on. Some changes are easier to accept than others like starting a new job, whereas other changes like losing a loved one or the end of a relationship can be harder to cope with. As I try to embrace changes, I realize that if something changes negatively, it can also change positively. So while something may not be happening for me now, that doesn’t mean it won’t be in the future as things are ever changing.

When I was younger, I thought that I had my whole life planned out, and then when I started getting older and things didn’t happen as I thought they would, I felt like my life had derailed. While it has taken me years to be okay with where I am, I now understand the importance of change and the beauty that can come from it. Originally, I had planned to graduate with my BS in Psychology, begin working in the field, and then pursue a Master’s of Science in Psychology. Then the pandemic happened and changed our lives in so many ways. Some of us lost loved ones or know individuals that are still struggling with long-term effects from COVID. Others lost their jobs, had to transition to online schooling, or struggled with maintaining friendships and relationships in the midst of everything happening. I had a hard time accepting how much my life had changed. It was difficult to go through my own personal stresses in addition to collective stress. While it hasn’t been the easiest thing to do, over the last two years I’ve learned that sometimes when life does not go according to plan, we are led to better opportunities and more happiness than we had anticipated.

I had believed that I knew exactly what I wanted to do but then I started working in public health at the start of the pandemic and it became one of my passions as well. I hadn’t thought of going into public health prior to the pandemic, but after learning about the importance of bridging the gap and helping those most vulnerable in our community, it made me reconsider what I thought my original plan was. Being undecided in what I want to do with my life and career is something that I didn’t think about when I was younger because I was always so certain that I would follow my plan. But now I’ve realized that it’s okay to not know exactly what you want to do with your life and to take it as it comes.

Embracing change may be difficult, but it’s a necessary part of life. While it may seem unbearable or too challenging to navigate at times, the easiest way to get through it is to take it day by day and develop a support system. My loved ones have been so supportive during the stressful life changes that have made me uneasy. Lastly, take care of yourself and your mental health especially during times of change — meditate, workout, go to therapy, spend time with family and friends, or get extra rest — do whatever you need to in order to feel happy and healthy.

Natasha is currently working towards her Bachelor's of Science in Psychology. She plans to return to the U after graduating to obtain a second bachelor's degree in Community Health. She adores animals, music, nature, art, and spending time with her friends and family.