This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’m a junior in college and I still live at home with my mom and dad. It’s not something I wanted to do or thought I would be doing at 21 years of age, but hell… it is what it is.

My first semester of college back in 2015 was one I’ll never forget and not because it was great. The moment I started college I was adamant to live on my own and do everything by myself—that is, without the help from mom and dad. I got two gals to live with and we rented a house. I was in that house for a total of three months until I realized it was not for me.

Because I still had the idea in my head, “that living with mom and dad while you’re in college is totally lame and sad,” I moved in with my older sister instead. This was okay for a while and I was glad to have my best friend as my roommate, but quickly began to experience a downward spiral. Unfortunately this downward spiral forced me to have to withdraw from school for a bit and work on my mental health and myself.

Once I got back into the groove of school this past fall, I couldn’t help but feel like I failed because I was back living with my mom and dad. I felt like I was helpless, pathetic and thought my chances of being successful were diminishing. However, it took some serious self-reflection and ego-smashing for me to realize that actually, IT’S NOT A BIG DEAL.

Living with my mom and dad is not the worst thing that could have happened to me; in fact, it’s probably the best. I’m very thankful that I have parents who are willing to support me no matter what. I shouldn’t feel ashamed just because I had a bump in the road and needed some help to get back on my feet. Everyone goes through his or her own stuff in life and it’s important to know to never feel bad or embarrassed to ask for help.

It was important for me to look myself in the mirror, look at what I had around me, and just get the f*ck over my “first world problems.” There are so many other things that people struggle with daily around the world and it was huge for me to realize how self-centered I was acting for being so concerned about how other people were going to view or think about me living with my parents. I’m reminded constantly, every single day, that the world does not revolve around me and that probably no one cares or is paying attention to my living situation—and if they are, then that’s f*cking whack.

I just am thankful that I have a roof over my head, a family who loves me, and a chance to go back to school and get a degree.

Photo Credit: https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/opinion/blog/10-reasons-why-all-smart-girls-should-be-single-on-this-valentines-day/

Ally Askew is pursuing an English degree at the University of Utah. She is an aspiring creative writer in both fiction and non-fiction. Her favorite things to do are skiing with her sister Olivia, snoozing with her bulldog Lily, and drinking coffee while reading a good book.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor