This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Recently, I’ve started this thing called “The Curly Hair Diet,” which involves eating healthier to promote hair growth for my curly hair. Visual length and actual length are not the same thing, so anything that can help that seemingly endless transition is worth a shot! However, eating different things means I’ve had to give up other things like chips and sweets.This isn’t necessarily a horrible thing. Personally, I feel better with my new eating habits, but the enticing smell of brownies wafting through the kitchen on a Saturday afternoon makes me think twice about these changes.

I’ve done research on some different substitutes or alternatives brownies, since they are one of my favorite sweet treats. Anyone that knows me knows that I love brownies and they were one of the hardest sweets to give up on the Curly Hair Diet. One of my roommates, who has committed to a low sugar diet, happened to find a recipe on our most recent grocery adventure. If you’re craving that chocolate again, there’s another way: almond flour brownies.

Ingredients:

• 2 tbs. of softened butter
  • ½ cup of monk fruit sweetener
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup of organic unsweetened almond beverage
  • 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of almond flour
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ chopped almonds
  • ¼ dark chocolate chips

Preparation:

• Heat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit)
  • Mix butter and monk fruit sweetener together. Then blend an egg. Then put almond milk and vanilla extract together.
  • In another bowl, whisk almond flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking powder. Add this to the butter mix and blend just until mixed. Add dark chocolate chips.
  • Put non-stick cooking spray in a baking pan and pour batter. Make sure to spread evenly and bake for 30-35 mins
  • Remove from oven and let it cool. Then enjoy!

Chocolate is one of the most popular flavors in the world and possibly one of the hardest to resist. Of course, it would be difficult to swear it off because of a diet. These brownies are not the brownies you will find at your every-day bakery but they are a different kind of good. In some ways, dieting is a way of trying new things and exploring your palette, and these brownies definitely make that aspect of dieting worth it.

Kristina Guzman is a sophomore at the University of Utah, majoring in Marketing with a minor in Media Studies. She's originally from Queens, New York and loves trying new things. She's traveled to 13 countries outside the U.S. and has climbed Machu Picchu and the Great Wall. In her first year of college, she started her own haircare business, Kurl Up, and is currently conducting research on making hair products for wavy, curly and coily hair. All products will be ethically sourced, fair-trade, cruelty free and organic so you can do your part to make the world look as good as your curls. Kristina also interned at a beauty services app, KLYP, in digital marketing where she analyzed target markets and created relevant content to boost web traffic and social media engagement. She was brought on as a full-time hire in summer 2020 as a digital marketing specialist. On a casual day, you'll find her watching YouTube tutorials (most likely in Spanish) on Photoshop, haircare, eyeliner or coding.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor