bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Have To Do This Semester at the Student Life Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The Student Life Center on campus at the University of Utah has been in operation for less than a year, but has already proven to be an excellent resource in student wellness.  This incredible building that we are fortunate enough to have at our disposal is something that should not be taken for granted, because before you know it, you will be a college graduate wishing you took advantage of what the facility has to offer.  So, as we are all struggling to get back into a school year fitness routine, let these five things the Student Life Center has to offer aid you in your journey into the fall semester.

1. Massages

Everyone needs a stress reliever, whether you are trying to wind down from a long day of studying, a tough class, or your parents constantly calling you to ask about your grades.  Instead relieving your tension with a McFlurry and a large fry, spoil yourself every once in a while by purchasing a massage at a discounted rate for students ($25 for half an hour/$45 for an hour).  Studies show that getting a massage every couple of months helps release tension in our bodies that we didn’t even know existed, allowing us to concentrate better and be more confident.

2. Take a Class

For a low cost, students have the opportunity to take a class, or multiple, for the entire semester.  With most of the class teachers being students, classes are easy going and easier to relate to.  With 26 options, there is a class for everyone and almost no excuse not to get a group of your friends together and break a sweat!

3. Trips

If being stuck inside on the weekends sounds miserable, take advantage of the low cost trips offered by the Student Life Center to have an all-exclusive experience of some of Utah’s most incredible nature, or even have an out of state adventure in Colorado or Wyoming.  Because transportation is provided in the cost of these trips, it will be an excellent way for freshman who don’t have cars to get to know the wonderful region they have committed the next four years to.  These programs are equal access programs, meaning people of all abilities can join in.  You don’t have to be a rock climbing expert to enjoy a weekend of climbing, everyone was a beginner at one point!

4. Nutrition Counseling

I wish this was an opportunity that I had to take advantage of when I was in my first year, because the freshman 15 is REAL.  Once you book an appointment by calling the Student Life Center with a nutrition specialist, your first consultation will help you set goals in avoiding tricky foods that pack on the pounds when living as a college student.  The first appointment is $10, with every follow up appointment set at $5.

5. Intramural Sports

If you ever wanted to be a jock, but never had the chance to in high school, now is your time to shine.  Intramural sports are one of the best ways to meet people in college, it is a co-ed, all-inclusive program that has endless sports to chose from.  No hand-eye coordination needed!  If having the ability to catch a ball was required, I never would have been able to play flag football.  You can sign up as a team, or you can sign up as an individual and join a team to make some new friends!  Be as competitive or laid back as you want, but being competitive is half the fun!  

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor