5 Easy Ways You Can Get the Nutrients You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Being a college student means endless amounts of junk food, no matter who you are. From late night dinners with the girls to grabbing some quick snacks between classes, our schedules demand food that is on-the-go, but fast food doesn’t have to mean greasy burgers and sugary shakes. There comes a point when everyone wonders if they are actually getting nutrition from these foods. I’m not even ashamed to admit that I’ve Googled “how many grams of protein are in a bag of Doritos?” more than once (there are two). On average, people need about 40-50 grams of protein a day, and although 20 bags of Doritos sounds doable these are some healthier alternatives to the chemical filled chips.  

1. PB2

Powdered peanut butter. Everyone should have this in the cabinet. At first it might sound completely unappealing but it has 85% less fat and calories than normal PB! With 5 grams of protein in each serving it is a great snack choice; it is made by pressing peanuts and removing the fat and oils. Just mix the powder with water and it’s an easy snack. Clearly a college students dream. 

2. Quest Bars

These aren’t your traditional protein bars, with only 200 calories per bar they are widely considered “cheat meals without cheating.” They also have around 20 grams of protein and are gluten free! The White Chocolate Raspberry bar is the ideal combination of sweet and fruity! Grab one of these on your way to class to help you focus in on the lecture!

3. Citrus 

Oranges or grapefruit whichever you prefer you can’t go wrong! These promote fat loss and the vitamin C actually prevents onset of colds. If citrus isn’t your favorite or if you are looking for something new, Cara-Cara Oranges are seedless, sweeter, and less acidic, 10/10 would recommend!

4. Greek Yogurt 

The nutrition trend of 2016, Greek Yogurt is super healthy, has a lot of protein and very few calories. If this is your go-to breakfast item make sure you are watching the amount of sugar, some brands and flavors can have up to 30 grams of it!

5. Hummus

Who doesn’t love Hummus?! Not only does it taste amazing, but you can eat it with literally anything. It’s a great spread on sandwiches, with chips, or vegetables. It’s only made with four ingredients, meaning it’s super easy to make your own, and chickpeas–the main ingredient–can lower your cholesterol!

Eat up, collegiettes! With these super easy and affordable foods to try, you can get that nutrition you need while still feeling full!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor