Wellness > Health

4 Easy Ways to Enjoy Your Workout (Seriously!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sometimes while scrolling through urban legends on Instagram discover, you run into a rare quote about how working out is “the best part of the day.” 

I know, I know. Working out can sometimes feel like a chore — but it doesn’t have to be that way! Read on for tips on how to take your workout from the worst time of the day to the best time of the day.

Your Work Out Doesn’t Have to be Long

This one is always nice to hear! Many people think going to the gym involves five mile runs or hour long elliptical sessions. However, you can get just as good of a workout in a half an hour or less! For example, running or jogging fifteen to twenty-minute intervals is an excellent cardio workout to burn calories and boost metabolism. Additionally, ten-minute ab workouts can be challenging and a great core-burner. 

You Have More Energy Afterwards

This may be hard to believe, but it’s true! Physical exercise, while it may be somewhat tiring during your workout, actually makes you feel more energized afterward! If you know you have a long study session ahead, try to make time for the gym before. It will get you prepared, focused and motivated for your studies. 

DO WORKOUTS YOU LIKE.

This one should be a no brainer, but I have met multiple people who do workouts they don’t like at the gym because they think it’s “better” for them or burns more calories. My dad has always told me, “The best kind of exercise is the one you’ll do.” So whether or not you like running, hiking, ab workouts, climbing, weights, or the multitude of others, focus on ones you like. However, challenge yourself by trying new things and increasing your workout’s difficulty! Doing workouts you like, as well as pushing yourself, pretty much guarantees a more enjoyable exercise routine!

Think of How Your Workout Benefits You!

It is easy to think negatively at the gym and get caught in the mindset of “Ugh I don’t want to do this,” “I’m tired,” and “I’m not seeing any physical improvements.” When those thoughts pop into your head, try to replace them with more positive ones! Try thinking of how much better you’ll feel after you’re done, and just how much it’s improving your physical health as well as mental health. When you get frustrated about not seeing any results, take a deep breath and remind yourself that visible results take time—anywhere from one to two months! In the meantime, focus on how your workout is strengthening in other ways—relieving stress and making you healthier!

Overall, although working out can often be grueling, tedious and tiring to say the least, these tips might help you think of exercise in a more positive way and ultimately get you to enjoy your workout!