3 Delicious and Nutritious Sweet Potato Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I recently found out that February 22nd is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to share three of my favorite sweet potato recipes that will get you excited about celebrating this versatile veggie!

Sweet potatoes are a delicious, nutrient-dense root vegetable. They have earned the title of a superfood because of their richness in B vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, and Potassium. All of these vitamins and minerals are essential to the function of our bodies and minds and help us fight off disease right now and in the future! Aside from the amazing health benefits of sweet potatoes, I find them to be one of the most delicious and easy-to-use veggies, making it easy to get in important nutrients without it feeling like a chore. 

Unsplash

Baked With Toppings

This one may seem obvious, but with the right toppings, a baked sweet potato can change the game. 

Ingredients:

– Sweet potato

– Butter or butter substitute 

– Honey or maple syrup

– Your favorite nut butter (optional)

– Cinnamon 

Directions: 

– Preheat oven to 425 degrees

– Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil

– Use a fork to poke 3-5 holes in sweet potato for venting

– Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the skin becomes soft and it can easily be pierced (juice will often start to come out of the sweet potato when it’s done) 

– Let it cool for 3-5 min 

– Cut it in half and with a fork, mash in butter, honey, or maple syrup, and your favorite nut butter if desired, then sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!

Sweet Potato Avocado Toast

Avocado toast is arguably the biggest food trend of the decade, but this recipe brings a new, more nutritious twist that even the original avo toast loyalists will love. 

Ingredients: 

– Sweet potato

– Avocado

– Balsamic glaze (or any other favorite dressing)

– Micro-greens (optional)

Directions: 

– Preheat oven to 425 degrees

– Slice sweet potato lengthwise into about 1/2 inch thick pieces 

– Put on baking sheet and drizzle with your favorite cooking oil 

– Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown 

– Let cool for 3-5 min 

– Top with avocado, dressing, micro-greens, and any other toppings you’d like! 

Sweet Potato Brownies

This recipe is from @turmeric.and.tequila on Instagram (I highly recommend you check out her page for some amazing recipes.) It may sound really strange, but the texture and sweetness of sweet potatoes work perfectly for brownies, and this has become one of my favorite dessert recipes. 

Ingredients: 

– 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (1/4 – 1/2 a sweet potato) 

– 1/2 cup creamy nut butter 

– 1 egg

– 1/3 cup cacao powder 

– 1/3 cup maple syrup 

– 2 tbs coconut oil

– 1/2 tsp baking soda 

– Handful of chocolate chips 

Directions: 

– Preheat oven to 325 

– Prepare baking tin or square pan with coconut oil

– Combine all ingredients until smooth 

– Pour batter in pan

– Microwave a heaping spoonful of nut butter for 30 seconds, pour on top of the batter and swirl in with a spoon or spatula (this makes them look pretty and makes them extra creamy but is optional)

– Bake for 25 min

– Let cool and enjoy! 

I hope this inspired you to celebrate National Cook a Sweet Potato Day, and that you enjoy these recipes as much as I do!

Elle is majoring in Communications and Modern Dance! She loves clouds, music, and sticky notes :)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor