10 Realistic New Year’s Resolutions for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The new year is in full swing, which means new year’s resolutions are as well. While resolutions are a wonderful thought…their success rate is lower than Trump’s approval rating. The main issue is that we tend to pick resolutions that are severely unrealistic for college students. But have no fear, here are some resolutions that even the busiest of college students can keep beyond February:

1. Drink More Water

Water: the original coconut oil. It clears your face, flushes toxins, keeps you feeling fuller longer, helps with metabolism, regulates body temperature…need I say more?

2. Make it to the Gym a few Times per Week

Maybe you hit the gym twice a week, maybe four times, or maybe once a week. Regardless of how many times you go, keep your gym resolution more chill. The more chill you are with your workouts, the more likely you are to succeed. Committing to a six-day-a-week, two-hour gym regimen is unreasonable, and you’re more than likely to fall back into the loving arms of Krispy Kreme’s if you make your gym-going too extreme.

3. Read a New Book Each Month

Whether it’s a self-help book, the latest Nicholas Sparks novel, or “The Idiot’s Guide to Chess,” reading a new book per month will mean that outside of school you’re learning new material. What’s more important is that you’re choosing something to read for yourself instead of your class project which makes it that much more meaningful because you’re making the conscious choice to learn for the sake of learning.

4. Try One New Restaurant Each Month

You can never go wrong with Cheesecake Factory, but branching out and trying the brand new Chinese Bistro, or visiting that sandwich shop that your Grandma always gushes over, helps to expand your horizons and can potentially lead to you finding the restaurant that’s destined to be your stomach’s soulmate.

5. Become a Tourist in Your Own Town

Think about the history that your town holds: the hidden, hole-in-the-wall gems, the dusty bookstores, the natural landscape that you’ve never explored…the adventures are limitless. Get to know the place you think you know so well.

6. Listen to a New Podcast

If you haven’t joined the podcast world yet, you’re missing out! It’s the best solution to keeping up with current events, learning how random things work, catching up on history, or being inspired by the late, great Tony Robbins. Bonus: it can make your morning routine or morning commute actually enjoyable and productive.

7. Take More Pictures

Whenever you try to make a celebratory Instagram birthday post for your bestie, or try to scrounge up nine photos to commemorate the past year, you more likely than not realize that you don’t possess an adequate variety of pictures. This year, change that! Instead of the 60-minute snap chat story, take plenty of photos for posterity.

8. Set Aside 20 Minutes Each Day for “Me Time”

Take a break from the studying, take a break from the stress of work, take a break from the complicated love life. Whether it’s meditation, yoga, reading, or a power nap, give yourself a break and improve your overall quality of mental health.

9. Meet New People

Old friends will always be your friends, but what’s wrong with branching out and meeting new people? Whether it’s through dating, hanging out with that one cool classmate on the weekend, or going to a hangout spot you’ve never ventured to before, you won’t regret expanding your circle of friends.

10. Don’t Beat Yourself up if You Mess Up

The worst part about resolutions is that we tend to beat ourselves up if we fall short of the resolution we made, and that’s why most resolutions never work. Instead of raking yourself over the coals, just make a pact with yourself to do better next time. Keeping a healthy mindset and realizing that a mistake is not the end will help make sure that your resolutions last longer than the milk in your fridge.

Image sources:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

8: Image source: https://tenor.com/view/new-me-rihanna-gif-4948697

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor