10 Minute Chakra Balancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There is no needed reason to take ten minutes out of your daily routine and give your mind and body a break.  Chakras are points in your body in which energy flows the most. No matter what your beliefs are, acknowledging these points in your body will improve your physical and mental health. Go through each of the following displayed positions in order, spending as much time as you would like or need in the different chakras.

Root

Location: base of the spine

Purpose: Grounding yourself

With this position, spend an equal amount of time on each foot in front.

Sacral

Location: a few inches below your belly button

Purpose: Connection to accept others and new experiences

Your hands can be placed at your heart like shown. They can also be placed on your legs or side, which ever is more comfortable.

Solar Plexus

Location: Center of chest, just above your heart

Purpose: Confidence and control

If you would like a more intense experience, release your hands and balance your legs using your abdomen muscles.

Heart

Location: Heart

Purpose: Love, joy and inner peace

Throat

Location: throat

Purpose: communication, truth and self expression

Third eye

Location: middle of forehead, between eyes

Purpose: Focus

While in this position, make sure your forehead is touching the ground.

Crown

Location: top of head

Purpose: Bliss

My roommate is able to balance on the crown of her head, I on the other hand struggle with this position. If you are like me, do not fret. This position can be acheived by balacning upside down while keeping your feet on the ground. I also reccomend using a pillow the first few times.

I hope each one of you can get the most out of this short practice. You can stop at this basic routine or further your interest in chakras. Check out the Dancing Crane if you have further questions.

Namaste!

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor