Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

How to Become a Runner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

In January, my roommate asked me if I would run a half marathon with her. I contemplated the offer, laughed, but then said yes. Yes, I felt crazy. What makes it even crazier is that this is not the first time I have been in this situation. At the beginning of my senior year of high school, my friend asked me if I wanted to run a half marathon with her. It was almost the exact same conversation, I said yes kind of jokingly thinking we would not go through with the run. Well, a few months later, and there we were, doing the hilliest half marathon in Kentucky running without having trained. The next week or so I could barely walk, and I vowed to myself that I would never run more than maybe 2-3 miles again.

The issue with this promise is that I have always wanted to be a runner. I have toyed with it all my teen and young-adult life. I will pick it up for a month or two but without consistency or a plan and I always burn out rather quickly. When my roommate asked me if I wanted to join her, I saw it as an opportunity. We began training and those thirteen miles still seemed unachievable. I had little hope and did not push myself at all. 

Then quarantine happened and I was stuck at home with no workout equipment. I was anxious and stressed and needed an outlet for all my emotions. After a few weeks, I decided I would try running. I began running 2-3 miles consistently and to my surprise, I started to like it! After a few months of this consistency I wanted to run more, so I began to train for a 10k, which is 6.2 miles. The farthest I have run to this date is 5.5 miles with that 6.2 miles hopefully happening in the next week or so. With every milestone, I get more and more excited and find myself feeling more and more like a “real runner.”

Let me let you in on a little secret, YOU are a real runner too. I do not care if you haven’t run ever in your life or you run 20-30 miles a week, you are a real runner. Anyone and everyone are a runner, you just have to get out there and run. However, this is probably the hardest step of running, especially when you are a beginner. I am by no means a professional in this subject, but I love running and as someone who would still consider herself a beginner runner, I want to share some tips and tricks that have helped me enjoy my runs a little more. Now, it’s not all roses and butterflies and there are some days I don’t want to run at all or that I end up walking more than I run but that’s okay! Running is not a linear process and what is important is that you are getting out there and moving your body. Without further ado, here are some tips I have compiled, from a beginner runner to a beginner runner.

Tip #1: Invest in good running gear

Running is not a cheap hobby, I have learned this the hard way, BUT good gear is the difference between efficient, safe running and an injury or burnout. Not only do you look cute and stylish with some good gear, but your body will feel better as well. If you don’t get anything else, and I cannot stress this enough, get good shoes. Your body is your body for the rest of your life and running can be hard on your joints. Good shoes can help cushion your runs and are the biggest make-or-break in running injury prevention. 

Other pieces of gear I have come to love are weather appropriate running clothes, body glide to help with chafing, running sunglasses (I have a pair of goodr sunglasses that I adore), a running hat, and a running water bottle for long runs.

Tip #2: Proper Hydration

I do not think I can emphasize how important hydration is for a runner, and in general, drink your water baby! Proper hydration before, during, and after your run can completely change your run. Admittedly this is something I still struggle with myself, often I find myself struggling by the end of my run and I can almost always trace it back to a lack of water. Before a run, within an hour of going out, I try to drink about 10 ounces of water. If it is an early morning run, I prep the night before drinking 32 ounces starting a few hours before bed and up until I go to bed. If it is an afternoon run, I try to drink at least 32 ounces throughout the day up until about an hour and a half before my run. Now, everyone’s body is different, so how much water you need may be different, but it is something that is important to try and gauge. It is also something you will become more aware of with time and more frequent running.

As I mentioned in tip #1, one of my favorite gear items I have is a running water bottle. During long runs (a run over 40 minutes,), it is suggested to replenish fluids about every 20-30 minutes. Having a running water bottle makes this easier, especially during COVID times. An added benefit to a water bottle is that many of them come with pockets where you can put keys, your phone, or snacks.

Tip #3: Proper Fuel

Your body is your temple, I know, I know, how cheesy. Seriously though, you are not getting another one and it is important to fuel it properly. If you do not have enough food in your body during a run, you will peter out before you want to, have a hard time or be unable to complete your run. This is another thing I am also still working on. 

If I am eating a meal before a run, normally I like to leave about 2-3 hours for this meal to settle. These meals are usually high in protein and carbs. If I am not eating a full meal before my run then I eat a high protein, high carb snacks an hour to a half an hour before the run. This is usually some peanut butter toast or a cliff bar. 

During longer runs, I also bring a sugary snack with me. That water bottle pocket comes in handy for this! A cheap and easy run snack is fruit snacks but you can also go for a Gu or other running snacks. Post-run fuel is also critical. You have just put a lot of stress on your body and it is tired, properly refueling is how your body can recover, and you can successfully continue about your day without being completely exhausted. This is another high protein meal with some carbs as well. My favorite post-run meal is a breakfast burrito and a protein smoothie.

Tip #4: Warm-up

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started running is not having a good warm-up. It seems silly to do small workouts before a run, it sounds like it would tire you out, but it’s actually very important to make sure your muscles are ready for your run. This helps to prevent injuries. My favorite warm-up is a mixture of resistance band workouts concentrated on the legs and some small dynamic stretching along with a short walk before I officially start running.

Tip #5: Post-run Stretching

Stretching after a run is another thing that is SO important for injury prevention. I like to do about ten minutes of stretching if time allows but no matter what I do some sort of stretching. This helps relieve some lactic acid build-up as well as really stretch out and relax those muscles after your run. If you don’t stretch it can lead to too much muscle tension and muscle knots. It can also lead to lower back, hip, and knee problems as well as shin splints. Best of all, stretching will also help with post-run soreness.

Tip #6: Listen to your body and HAVE FUN!!!

Running is hard. It is mostly a mental sport, meaning your body can do more than your brain lets you think it can do. Normally when your brain thinks you cannot go any further, your body can still take you further. With that being said, it is important to listen to your body. If something hurts, rest. If you are feeling overexerted, take a walk break. There is no shame, your miles are miles whether you run the whole thing or walk some of it as well. Take your time and train slowly. Most of all, always remember to have fun! Running can be a lifelong sport and can lead to lifelong friendships. Remember it is not linear and I’m proud of you for just going out there and trying!

Katie Dace

USFCA '22

Hey, y'all! I'm a senior Kinesiology major/Health Studies minor at the University of San Francisco. When I'm not studying or working I can be found cozied up with a good book and a cup of tea. Other things I really enjoy are running, rock climbing, and baking! I have always had a love of media, especially women centered around beauty and personal care (think Seventeen magazine and Pinterest).