stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Try a Group Fitness Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m personally not a huge fan of the normal gym routine. That’s why I prefer to go to group fitness classes. They’re fun, they don’t take up too much time, and the best part is you have an instructor to guide you through a workout! It can’t get any better than that.

Now you’re probably wondering what classes would be good to try, and I’m here to tell you that it’s up to you. Every class has a different style of fitness, whether it be Pilates, or Yoga, or Cardio Pop, or even Zumba… there’s literally something for everyone. If you’re interested in looking at Campus Rec’s group fitness schedule take a look here.

If you got as far as looking at the schedule and are still unsure of what class is right for you, I have a few recommendations that might help you out.

Zumba

I took a Zumba class my sophomore year and it was a lot of fun. Zumba involves using Latin dance moves to get a well-rounded workout. There’s even a new class called Zumba Toning (which I haven’t gotten a chance to try yet) that focuses more on sculpting the body. There are multiple people that teach Zumba, so this class can be a little more flexible with your schedule if you need it to be. All the instructors make the class fun and high energy, so no matter what class you choose you’ll be sure to get a great workout!

Pilates

Pilates is my newest group fitness class that I’ve tried and I’m personally a huge fan. This semester it’s at 7:30 in the morning, which can be rough at times, but if you can get up you’ll definitely thank yourself later. Each class is different so you can always expect something fresh from every session. Apparently a lot of celebrities get their rockin’ bods from doing Pilates and after doing two classes I can definitely see how that’s possible. The class meets twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays, so you might as well start those days early with an intense workout that will leave you feeling good all day.

Yoga

I haven’t tried Yoga at Campus Rec but I have friends who have tried it and swear by it. I’ve been wanting to try it here so you can hopefully check back within the next few weeks with an update on that. But until then I know a lot of people who regularly attend Yoga classes at the USF gym and love it. There are several different types of Yoga classes that are offered so you just have to find which one interests you the most. All of the classes sound like they are good no matter what, so if you have time you can try out each one and see which one you like the most.

These are just a few suggestions but I know every class offered at Campus Rec is great and they all have great instructors that teach them. I’ve found that classes are always a lot of fun when you bring a friend or two with you. Once you pick a class that piques your interest, grab a friend, and have fun on your journey to getting fit!

PHOTO SOURCE: http://natureupnorth.org/event/outdoor-yoga

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.