WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: Five Ways to Stay Motivated to Get in Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Going back to school means a lot of things: new clothes, new classes, and new opportunities. Many people going back to school try to take the opportunity to get back in shape, but the problem is staying motivated past the first few weeks of school. If you have this problem, and I know a lot of people do, then here are five ways you can stay motivated to get in shape.

1. Find a buddy

The best way for people to stay in shape is to find a buddy to keep them going. I know it’s easy to find excuses when you’re trying to get in shape on your own, so having a partner there to push you is always helpful. Even if you can’t find someone to be a consistent gym partner, it’s a good idea to have a few friends as gym buddies so if one friend can’t go to gym one day you can always find another person to push you to go.

2. Plan gym times in advance

Not planning gym time into your day can be a big reason why you can lose motivation to go in the first place. It’s a good idea to block off time to go the gym in between or after your classes for the day; whatever works for your schedule. On the days that you do plan gym time you can wear your gym clothes to class or pack a gym bag to bring your change of clothes. If you go in between classes you can always use one of the showers at the gym (bring shower shoes!) or pack deodorant and some perfume to make sure you don’t smell too sweaty for your next class.

3. Make a gym playlist

If you listen to music while you exercise it might be a good idea to go through your favorite songs and make a playlist out of them. Good music can help you get pumped which can help you push yourself while you’re working out. It can slow you down when you have to search for that favorite song during the middle of your workout, so having all of your favorite music in one place can keep your workout going without stopping.

4. Don’t torture yourself with an intense diet

Part of staying in shape is eating healthier, but you don’t have to cut out your favorite foods to stay in shape. As long as you’re getting well-balanced meals it’s okay to work in one of your favorite sweets or greasy food every once in a while. Having an intense diet can lead to binge-eating later on. Falling off your intense diet can kill your confidence and motivation. As long as you remember to keep your meals well balanced you’ll be okay. Click here help find ways to make your meals more well-balanced.

5. Take a fitness class

A fitness class is a great way to stay motivated to get in shape because they make exercising so much fun. Fitness classes can range anywhere from Zumba to Pilates. There’s literally a class for everyone!  You should treat a fitness class like it’s an actual class in your schedule. Fitness classes are great for newbies because they tend to start easier in the beginning of the semester and work up intensity as the semester goes on. If you want to take fitness classes this fall click here for USF recreation’s fall schedule.

There you have it! If you keep these 5 tips in mind there’s no way you’ll lose motivation to stay in shape. 

Photo sources:

www.breakingmuscle.com

www.theiphonemom.com

www.collegelifestyles.org

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.