This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Hi all! Hope everyone has been having a great week so far. This week, I’ll be talking about how hard studying can be when you’re in a slump in college. Following my academic theme from this semester, I’ll be talking about how to get yourself in the studying vibe. These are some of the things that have worked for me, so take everything with a grain of salt or pick and choose your favorites!

First, I allow myself to have some downtime when I study. I use the Pomodoro Method (there are some super cute websites) to set specific time limits for when I want to review and when I want to have downtime to go on my phone when the timer is up. It is super important to know your mental limits when studying and staring at a screen or notes for a prolonged period of time can do more harm than good. It also gives you an incentive to be able to scroll or rot in your bed for a little bit. Being kind to yourself while studying is such a key to success.

Secondly, know when to study in groups and when to study alone. Body doubling can help with productivity in certain situations, but sometimes it is better to study alone in order to truly focus. Knowing when to reach out to friends and asking them for help either studying or being in a productive space surrounded by others. 

Lastly, it is totally okay to incentivize yourself with buying a sweet treat or rewarding yourself with something small like a matcha or boba. It is such a large feat to study challenging subjects after a long day, and it’s nice to go treat yourself to hanging out with friends, or whatever else brings you joy!

Studying can truly be tough; show yourself some grace and celebrate your effort. Hope these tips help and everyone finds studying at least a little bit easier!

Hi ! My name is Jess and I'm a second year at USF Tampa studying criminology with a minor in intelligence studies. I love iced chais, anything crystal related, and writing advice articles!