Life > Academics

The Pomodoro Study Technique

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Finals season is here, and that means everyone is scrambling and cramming. The library has 3x more people than usual, people are crying in the hallways, and that means it’s time for you to lock in. If you are anything like me who doesn’t know how to study effectively, you need to try out the Pomodoro technique!

What is it?

Pomodoro means tomato in Italian, and the reason for the technique being named this is because a tomato is shaped like a timer clock. The technique was originally developed by a man named Francesco Cirillo, and here are the steps:

Pick a task
Set a timer for 25 minutes
Work until the time is up
Take a 5 minute break
repeat 3 more times

After 4 Pomodoros, take a longer break of about 20 minutes, and repeat as many times as necessary. Boom! That’s all there is to it. The method has been shown to help students develop better work habits and decrease procrastination and multitasking. It is all about time management. Breaking up studying and homework into smaller increments can make it feel less overwhelming and intimidating.

I’ve personally used this method throughout my time in college, and it has saved me from many breakdowns. I find it to work the best if you fully invest in the process. For me this means putting my phone on do not disturb, playing some lo-fi beats through my headphones, and not letting myself get distracted for the full 25 minutes.

Feel free to use this Pomodoro Timer to help you stay on track during your study sessions. Good luck on finals!

senior jmu communications i love sushi, boba, and slay