Wellness > Health

Pockets of Peace: Building a Healthy Social Media Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In between my hectic schedule of classes, work, and volunteering, I like to take a few moments for myself to scroll through social media. However, social media can be so toxic, reinforcing dangerous beliefs that have become unfortunately normalized through constant posting. After a long day of work, the last thing I want to do is view and internalize negative content. Social media is so influential, and I want to make sure that what I consume is beneficial. Thus, my newest goal in my social media habits has been to see content that I enjoy and positively affect me. 

One of my favorite social media creators is Nabela Noor. Nabela is a first-generation Bangladeshi-American content creator who shares moments of her life throughout social media. These moments can seem mundane, but they’re ‘pockets of peace’, showing how the little moments in life are times to be proud of and are beautiful. Following Nabela has been a highlight of my experiences with social media, being able to reflect on the little moments by watching her videos. Nabela offers her viewers a look into her life and preaches positivity on platforms that are plagued with harmful content. This is what social media should be, a platform to share pockets of peace with others and positive content. 

Creating a feed that I feel is beneficial to me is constantly a work in progress, trying to filter my feed in a way that’s informative, entertaining, and overall, good for me to view. I love to see my friends and fellow members of Her Campus post, loving to support and hype them up. I also have structured my feed to feature mostly my interests, keeping up with the things I’m passionate about like sports, music, and film. Social media is meant to amplify things you love, so I use it to explore things I love, rather than a tool to compare myself with. 

To conclude, social media should be a place to rest and recharge after a long day of responsibilities. As a woman, I know that many social media trends prey on our insecurities to generate more content. Thus, it’s vital that we use social media to reflect on our pockets of peace, like how Nabela Noor posts about. Social media is so powerful, and by crafting a feed that focuses on interests, positive affirmations, and friends, it is used effectively. Learning how to healthily use social media is always a work in progress, but with more positive influencers like Nabela Noor, it is becoming easier to seek content that is beneficial and comforting to watch after a long day. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.