This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As college students, we often hear our friends flexing on the number of hours of sleep they received, whether it was two hours or ten. Along with nutrition and exercise, sleep is one of the three pillars of a healthy lifestyle; healthy sleep patterns also improve your health and quality of life in a variety of ways.

A Good Night’s Sleep is Vital to Promote Physical Health

Sleep promotes peak performance and productivity. It also helps you fight off infection, maintain a healthy weight, and avoid chronic diseases. In the long run, without a healthy sleep, you are more likely to obtain heart disease and Type II Diabetes.

Healthy Sleep is Essential for Your Mental State

A good rest helps you to balance your mood and emotions. Without a night of healthy sleep, you are more likely to struggle with feelings of anxiety and depression.

Healthy Sleep Improves Your Memory and Ability to Focus

Sleep sharpens your mind so that you can think clearly, and it helps you excel at both school and work. Without a good night’s rest, you are more likely to be forgetful and make mistakes.

Healthy Sleep Promotes Personal and Public Safety

Sleep keeps you alert and helps you react quickly; without it, you are more likely to have an accident while driving or working. 

Healthy sleep involves making the right choices to prioritize and protect your R.E.M cycle, here are three keys to achieving and maintaining healthy sleep.

1. Quantity

Most adults need at least seven hours of sleep a night for optimal health and productivity, and some may benefit from additional hours to feel fully rested. Try to get seven or more hours of sleep per night. This can be done by setting a regular bedtime that is early enough for you to get a full night’s rest. 

2. Quality

Getting good sleep is important too. Sleeping seven hours each night isn’t enough because you need quality sleep. Avoid common sleep disruptors in the evening, such as consuming caffeine, alcohol, and using electronics. Talk to your doctor if you are taking a medication that disturbs your sleep.

3. Regularity

It also is important to sleep at the right time, maintaining healthy sleeping habits is part of the daily rhythm of life. Your body sleeps best at night when it is dark, and it also functions best when you keep a regular routine. Try to wake up at the same time every morning and go to bed when you feel tired and sleepy. 

The quantity, quality, and regularity of your sleep can be disrupted if you have a sleep disorder. Talk to your doctor if you have an outgoing problem that prevents you from sleeping well. Make healthy sleep one of your top priorities, for you must sleep well to be well. 

Amanda Lin is from Seattle, WA and is a Doctor of Pharmacy major at the University of Rhode Island! She is passionate about health, fashion, and food. Check out her webpage (amandanlin.com), and connect with her through Instagram at @amandanlin and @nomnomwithalin!