Wellness

How Running and Yoga Have Changed My Quarantine Mentality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Since getting home from school and being stuck in my house, I have tried to come up with ways to keep myself busy and stay away from taking long leisurely walks to the fridge…LOL

I had come to the realization that even though when I am at school I only get one workout in a day, I am consistently on my feet and always walking somewhere. Now being home, I had to go through trial and error of what is the best way to stay in shape. I decided that since I am a huge morning person at home, I would pick up longer runs in the morning and right afterwords do a yoga style stretch. When running the best way to start to burn body fat is about 20 minutes into the run. So now my productive morning routines (in order to make sure I am keeping my life together) I get up when the sun comes up, make my bed, brush my teeth, wash my face, put my workout clothes on and we are ready. While doing all of those things, I listen to a happy or motivating podcast and it really sets my mood for the day. When getting ready to run after stretching out and warming up; I go onto my Nike Running app and select the run I am feeling for the day! It is usually a 25 min to a 30-minute run, nothing crazy and nothing too fast. Then once finished, I grab my yoga mat and head to my porch. I then go to the Nike Training app and turn on my timed yoga session. Whether its a 15-minute flow or a 25 minute one. 

person kneels to tie their running shoes. they are wearing a coat and a hat and appear to be on a bridge
Burst | Pexels

By implementing this into my routine, I have realized how much I take for granted in regular everyday life. I realized how much I miss going to the gym and seeing all of my friends there. I also realized how fast-paced my everyday life is. When I finally have the time to slow down and think about every step of my morning and set my intentions for the day or the week; it really makes you realize how much I need to slow each day down and not take the little moments for granted. Instead of putting myself into a bad mentality while being stuck at home; I have been embracing the time to focus on taking it slow and getting everything needed to be done in a timely manner.

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Hey everyone! Thank you for reading my article! I'm Madison, a sophomore here at URI! I am a kinesiology major on a premed track!