This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Make your own coffee

By making your own coffee each morning you save at least $3.00 a day. Even getting a $2.50 iced coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts every day adds up to $75.00 a month. If you prefer iced coffee over hot, make it the night before and leave it in the fridge for the next morning.

Gift cards

If you do want your occasional coffee drink from your favorite place, buy a gift card each month with the limit you want to spend as the balance. If you limit yourself to $10 or $15 to Starbucks a month, you’ll be more cautious with the money you spend each month.

Pay in cash

If you pay in cash you are less likely to spend as much money. Paying in cash lets you see what you’re actually handing over, instead of spending money you don’t have with you. You’re less likely to break a $20 for a needless impulse buy, than if you were using your credit card.

Buy the store brand

Buy the generic brand instead of the name brand when shopping for groceries. It’s typically a lot cheaper and usually similar in quality. It may not seem like much money at first, but every penny matters.

Eat out less

Don’t rely on take out food for your every meal. Instead of buying a pizza make one homemade or buy a frozen one. It’s better for your wallet and your health to limit eating out.

Save your change

Save the extra change in the bottom of your purse or in your car cup holders. It’s a careless mistake people make when they do not treat change like money. It can easily add up and even pay for that coffee once a week.

Save half of your paycheck 

When you get paid don’t keep all of your money in one place because you’re more likely to spend it all. Put half or some of it into your savings, so when the time comes around to buy books for school or other important things you have some money to fall back on.   

Psychology major at URI with a double minor in English and Education. Loves coffee & anything caramel, dancing, music and watching Netflix. Obsessed with all things Disney and spent a semester working at Disney's Animal Kingdom.