Wellness

Self-Care Weekend Itinerary for Very Busy Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

At this point during the semester tests, quizzes, and assignments are starting to pile up and take over our entire life. After a long, stressful week of classes and studying, all you want to do is take some time to unwind and relax. 

While taking a day or two for yourself might seem impossible for those with a busy schedule, it’s important to take a break every once in a while to avoid burnout. If you don’t have any plans this weekend or need to spend some time with yourself but don’t know where to start, this self-care itinerary is perfect for recharging your social battery and preparing for the week ahead.

Friday

Starting off on Friday afternoon, a walk around your neighborhood or a scenic route is the perfect way to get your mind off school and work. Spend some time reconnecting with nature, listen to some of your favorite music, a fun podcast, or call somebody you’ve been meaning to catch up with. 

After your walk, take a nice, long shower and set up your space for the night by doing some light cleaning and lighting a candle (and maybe even changing your bedsheets).

Friday night is all about rotting on the couch, but in a chic way. Grab a bottle of wine or some supplies to make a fun drink or mocktail, put on a movie or show you’ve been dying to watch, and order whatever food you have been craving all week. 

Saturday

Sleep in if you must, but Saturday morning is perfect for getting some “me time” outside. Grab some breakfast and coffee from your favorite café or brunch spot, and head on out to your chosen activity for the day. 

You can spend some time tanning at the beach, find a good spot to read at the park, join a morning workout class, or even find an artisan or farmer’s market around you to do some light shopping. If you absolutely must get work done, take your laptop to a cute coffee shop and spend a few hours catching up on your classes.

Before heading back home, stop at the grocery store and get ingredients to cook yourself a nice meal. Tonight we’re stepping away from the instant ramen and the chicken nuggets, and crafting a good home cooked meal. You deserve it!

Sunday

Ah, the dreaded Sunday. With the start of another busy week nearing, Sunday is the perfect day to cross some things off your to-do list and lighten the load of the days ahead.

Start the day off with a nice breakfast, whether you make it at home or treat yourself to brunch. After breakfast, take some time to deep clean your room or apartment and take care of the pile of laundry that’s been sitting on a chair all week. Now is the time to do whatever you need to start Monday off on the right foot. Finish a few assignments, do some meal-prepping, or organize a schedule of everything you need to do during the rest of the week. 

Once you’ve gotten that out the way, it’s time to savor the last few hours of freedom before Monday morning rolls around. Call a family member, grab dinner with a friend, or if your social battery needs some more time to recharge, spend your evening watching TV or working on a fun hobby to keep your mind away from the Sunday Scaries. 

You made it! 

College life can get busy and hectic fast, but spending even just a few minutes each day doing something nice for yourself can help to slow things down and relieve tons of stress. Make good use of the time you get to spend with yourself, and best of luck with the rest of the semester!

Kalya Núñez is a writer at Her Campus UPRM, where she delves into lifestyle and wellness topics to offers personal insights to readers. Alongside her contributions to Her Campus, she is a Blog Editor at The Bookworm Society at UPRM, where she plays a role in shaping the blog's content and direction. Currently pursuing a major in Human Resources Management at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, Kalya also explores her passion for communication and expression through a minor in Writing & Communications. In her free time, Kalya spends her time reading, writing, and gardening. She is also a fan beach sunsets and of sitcoms and reality shows, which she loves to watch in the company of her dog.