Why You Shouldn’t Pull an All-Nighter the Night Before a Test

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s the night before a test. You’re planning to spend it cramming the material you’ve procrastinated studying–sleep is for the weak! We’ve all been there at least once in our lives. However, skipping a night of precious sleep can be detrimental to your health and it may negatively affect your performance on that test you’re so worried about.

Studies show that lack of sleep can sabotage your memory and concentration skills; the less sleep you get, the less likely you are to ace your test. During the day, you may also suffer from extreme fatigue and all of the symptoms it brings. These symptoms include, but are not limited to, headaches, dizziness, weak or aching muscles, and an irritable mood. On top of that, your immune system could also be afflicted, leaving you more vulnerable to illnesses that you would have easily been able to keep at bay if you hadn’t forfeited your sleep.

Not convinced yet? Sleeping also helps you retain the information you’ve learned throughout the day! Your brain subconsciously continues to work on problems you’ve encountered and process knowledge you’ve acquired when you’re asleep. Try organizing your schedule daily, and doing your work as soon as it’s assigned to you so that it doesn’t pile up.

Establishing a sleeping schedule and sticking to it is crucial for your health. Once you start getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep every night, you’ll feel productive, energized and ready to go. Remember, it only takes 21 days to form a habit! So close your laptop, put your books down and get some much-needed sleep.

Image Credit: 1, 2

English Literature major with a passion for words.