This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Thalia M. Sevilla

I think it’s safe to say that it has been a hard trimester for all of us. It’s difficult to balance all the college workload with extracurriculars, work, family and social life. It seems there isn’t enough time in a day, and now that the semester is coming to an end, chances are that you’re finding it hard to stay motivated right now. If you’re feeling mental, physical and emotional exhaustion, you’re probably experiencing what is commonly referred to as a burnout. Instead of succumbing to the stress, it’s time to make some changes so that you can face the rest of the school year with confidence.

1. Re-evaluate your situation

If you’re feeling burnt-out, you probably have too much on your plate. This is an opportunity to evaluate what is really important for you and learn to say “no” to things that are not. Reflect on why you are doing some of the activities that are causing too much stress and don’t help you with your goals, so that you can focus on what you’re passionate about and find motivation again.  

2. Make sure to rest

Remember to listen to what your body has to say. It may seem that finishing your long to-do list is worth sacrificing some sleep, but in the long run, it’s definitely not. If you make this a habit, you will feel fatigue and that will intensify your burnout, reducing your potential to stay on top of your responsibilities later on.

3. Take time to relax

It’s important to take care of yourself emotionally and mentally. It doesn’t matter how you relax— it can be by pampering yourself, exercising, meditating, writing or even just watching a good TV show. What matters is that you can forget about stressful things in life even if it’s just for a little while.

4. Change your environment

We’re all guilty of falling into a routine. Sometimes it’s comforting, but after a while it takes away your excitement for life. You can make simple changes like finding new places to study or a new place to eat. Making small changes can help refresh your life and not make you feel like you’re stuck in the same place and routine.   

It may seem impossible to take a breather right now, but if your health is being affected, you have to take one. Burnout is just another challenge that can be tackled. Looking after yourself is a great place to start to get back on track again. If the problem doesn’t improve, don’t forget that you can always look for professional help to sort everything out.