This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We all know how it goes during the holidays-you get tons of invites to parties, social events and dinners. You usually eat more around Christmastime because of all the free time you have on your hands. A lot of yummy foods, family and atmosphere can make you overeat like crazy. But don’t fret- Her Campus UPR is here to help keep you diet off the naughty list this year. Remember that the holidays happen once a year or maybe twice a year so don’t feel too bad if you break the rules occasionally. Here are a few tried-and-true tricks to keep off that extra weight during the holidays:

5. Stay away from the hors d’oeuvres (especially the meatballs)

You may think that hors d’oevres are better than eating a main meal, but you could be wrong. According to FatSecret, a serving of only one hors d’oevres can have up to 52 calories. Now, let’s talk about the meatballs that we all love so much during the social gatherings…about 400 calories each one! Think it’s worth it? Eating pastries and indulging on rich foods are not going to help you shed pounds. So save up the calorie budget for a delicious meal.

4. Limit the desserts

As we venture into the season of being jolly, making eating guides can seem pretty impossible. Finding the balance between counting your calories and enjoying the food & drinks galore can be quite the challenge. But the most important thing is to remind yourself which are the fatty foods that you should try not to consume. Desserts can be tempting, but keep in mind that spring break will be just around the corner too (bikini season, anyone?)

3. Find the time to exercise 

No excuses whatsoever! Holidays mean vacations and vacations mean free time so use it wisely. Try getting on a treadmill (or going for a run for a change of scenery) or maybe enroll in a Zumba class. Perhaps spicing up your routine can boost your metabolism while also give you some extra energy to keep on working hard to get that body that you’ve always wanted. 

2. Go for the healthy choices 

Common holiday foods-turkey, gandules, dried fruit, white rice, to name a few- Consider these options in small portions and you will enjoy not gaining the weight during the season of temptation. 

1. Beware of the sweet coquito calories

In Puerto Rico, coquito means it’s holiday season! But hear this…our favorite Puerto Rican holiday drink can have up to 500 calories. That means that drinking a glass of coquito could actually have more calories than a whole meal. 

*Photo Courtesy:

forkfingerschopsticks.com 

weheartit.com

hungrysofia.com

www.gimmesomeoven.com

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!