Yogurt: Keeping the Superfood Super

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Yogurt is well known for its various health benefits. Traditional yogurts provide a macronutrient balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates in addition to micronutrients such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Although yogurt contains lactose, the amount is significantly lower than what is found in other dairy products, therefore even people who are lactose intolerant can enjoy yogurt. Healthy bacteria known as probiotics found in yogurt have been proven to aid in digestion, boost the immune system, and lower blood pressure. These probiotics have also been shown to lower levels of leptin (a hormone that regulates hunger), which indicates that consuming yogurt regularly can promote weight loss. However, not all yogurt is created equal. Many yogurts on the market are packed full of added sweeteners which negate a number of the health benefits. In order to maximize the health benefits associated with yogurt, it is important to know what you are actually consuming.

While Maroon Five may be saying “yes please” to sugar, the average consumer is not, especially if they are trying to lose weight. The carbohydrates derived from milk based yogurt are natural sugars known as lactose and galactose. There are between 12-15 grams of these sugars, which naturally occur in 6oz of plain yogurt, and 6-9 grams in Greek varieties. Any amount beyond this is considered “added sugar” and contributes to your total recommended amount of added sugar per day (roughly 25 grams/day for women; 36 grams/day for men). Common yogurt brands such as Yoplait and Active add upwards of 25 grams of sugar to a 6oz serving of fruit flavored yogurt. If you are a woman, that equals the total amount of sugar you should consume that day in one little container of yogurt. To put that in perspective, that is as much sugar as two servings of ice cream!

Below is a comparative list of popular yogurts and healthy alternatives:

For the Classic Lover of Strawberry:

EAT THIS:       Siggi’s Strawberry Icelandic Skyr

Calories: 120

Sugar: 11 grams

Protein: 16 grams

NOT THAT: Dannon Strawberry Fruit on the Bottom

Calories: 130

Sugar: 22 grams

Protein: 5 grams

For Those Who Enjoy the Spice of Life:

EAT THIS: Apple Cinnamon Blended Chobani

Calories: 130

Sugar: 12 grams

Protein: 12 grams

NOT THAT:Apple Crisp Yoplait

Calories: 150

Sugar: 18 grams

Protein: 6 grams

For the One With the Sweet Tooth: 

EAT THIS: Triple Zero Oikos Chocolate

Calories: 120

Sugar: 6 grams

Protein: 15 grams

NOT THAT: Yoplait Whips Chocolate    

Calories: 160

Sugar: 21 grams

Protein: 5 grams

For Those Who Like to Mix-It-Up:

EAT THIS:

Dannon Light & Fit Key Lime Pie Greek Crunch      

Calories: 130

Sugar: 12 grams

Protein: 11 grams

NOT THAT:Chobani Flip Key Lime Crumble

Calories: 200

Sugar: 19 grams

Protein: 12 grams

For the One On-the-Go:

DRINK THIS: Dannon Oikos Banana Crème Yogurt Drink

Calories: 110

Sugar: 11 grams

Protein: 12 grams

NOT THAT:

Activia Strawberry Banana Yogurt Drink

Calories: 160

Sugar: 25 grams

Protein: 6 grams

PRO TIP: In order to get the highest protein and lowest sugar content in a yogurt, opt for the plain, Greek variety. My personal favorite is Fage. However, plain yogurt can be a bit of an acquired taste, so if you are not a fan, try adding your own fruit or honey for added fiber and sweetness rather than buying the kind with syrup!

Fage Total 0%

Calories: 100

Sugar: 7 grams

Protein: 18 grams

Fage Total 2%

Calories: 150

Sugar: 8 grams

Protein: 20 grams

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.